Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbikes coming in contact while riding

Options
  • 09-06-2022 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I'm a novice enough rider with about 20000 miles complete safely so far.

I only commute or use the roads. I've never raced on a track or anything like that.

I'm wondering can anyone explain what happens when two bikes come in contact when riding? It's on my mind lately due to recent tragic events in the news.

If anyone is aware of any videos where this has happened in a race would they mind sharing it with me? (obviously where no one got seriously injured- I'm interested in the physics of what happens instead of any gore etc)

Any advice/ help appreciated and no disrespect intended by this query. Please don't post/share anything offensive

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Is it not fairly obvious? Two balanced objects in motion collide and become unbalanced. What physics are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

The rear of the rear wheel of the first bike is going up, and the front of the front wheel is going down so I'm guessing the front wheel of the rear bike rises, but both bikes completely lose control.

I obviously know to leave lots of space between myself and other vehicles. I'm just trying to clearly understand what actually happens, and if there is anything at all that a rider can do to regain control

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If 2 bikes collide it comes down to where they hit each and how fast are going.

You'll often see bikes racing side by side banging fairings with no issues, now with the brake lever protection it's relatively safe as a big issue before was brake lever getting pushed back and the bike suddenly stopping. Front wheel to rear wheels contacts are also fairly common in racing and the results can be a tiny bump to serious depending on the riders skill and a lot of luck.

On the road you shouldn't get into the situation unless you are filtering and that's why you should only filter when the traffic is stopped or going slow. If riding in a group stagger yourselves in the lane so there's no chance of drifting into each other.

Never thought of the brake lever being knocked at all, but hopeful to think one might be able to regain control of the bike if the worst was to happen.

I can't see myself getting into that position while filtering. I'd be doing 50km at most while filtering and 20kmph faster than the traffic. Its too risky otherwise in my experience commuting to Dublin from wicklow and back. I've no problem pulling into a lane to let a bike past me if they're on my back wheel.

Thanks for that 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

In racing there is rubbing, its normal and usually on the arm or shoulder when needed.

normally anticipated by both riders and they would push off each other with little loss of stability.

*I am taking about rubbing not one bike crashing into another

• Advertisement

I think even that would frighten the bejaysis out of me.

Never done any racing though. They're a different breed of biker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Most racers wouldn’t be overly enamoured if another rider touched them at speed, rubbing is not racing, with bikes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Imagine sharing the track with this pr*CK

If I survived that manoeuvre he wouldn't survive my revenge when the race was over.

Most people have families that rely on them.

I'd kill him twice!

I hope he had the book thrown at him for that. The amount of money put into safety at those races, only to have that gimp pull a stunt like that

He was back racing this year but I think he was dropped by his team.

Scumbag imo.

• Advertisement

Someone with impulses like that should be banned for life.

That's mental. I'd almost consider that attempted murder. I thought he was gonna go for the killswitch as a "haha gotcha!" kinda of a laugh among friends type thing. Imagine someone pulling your front brake at those speeds. Jesus. Yer man did well to deal with it so well. Hat's off to him.

Advertisement