If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just invoiced by Engineer for work done 8 years ago

  • 07-06-2022 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

    So I Contacted an Engineer I know for a letter of Compliance for Planning for a mortgage switch and was told it would be 350 plus vat and that was grand but today on the invoice with the 350 was also 900 plus VAT for drawings he says he forgot to bill me for 8 yes EIGHT years ago. I know I Paid what was our bill at the time as he covered the planning and drawings etc he doesn’t dispute this. Just looking for Advice and where I stand legally for all I know I could of paid for them already or he could of just plucked them out of the sky, Thanks in Advance


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

    Nah, as someone providing that same service, unless this was an outstanding previously billed amount, he is being unfair here.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭enricoh

    Get a different engineer! A spoofer looking for a sucker is what you have at the minute.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

    Limitation periods in contracts

    Payment for works and services.

    Presuming that works are provided under a contract (which does not contain a different contractual limitation period), an action for payment for services will be subject to a six-year limitation period commencing on the accrual of the cause of action; this is generally the date on which payment was originally due but not made.

    The limitation period for payment for services is six years, which will generally start on the same date. Wherepayment for services over a longer period is sought in proceedings, then the "claim is, by reason of the Statute of Limitations, limited to work done during the six years before action" (Cleary v Sibley [1912] 46 ILTR 25).

  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

    In general, the time limit for taking action for an outstanding debt is six years. This means that if a creditor does not start legal proceedings within six years of the debt being due, the action is 'statute-barred'. Effectively, this means that, in these circumstances, a debtor cannot be forced to pay the debt.

  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Suitusir

    Thing is he already done the letter of Compliance with Planning and he agrees that if I hadn’t asked him for that he would never of invoiced me for the 900+, Funny how he went digging into the past

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭elperello

    The businesslike way is you ask "how much do I owe you" and the supplier says "X amount".

    You pay "X amount" get a receipt and that's the end of that transaction.

    Asking to get a second bite of the cherry after 8 years is very bad practice.

    He should suck it up after all that time if he made a mistake.

    TBH you'd feel a bit sad for him.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

    Don't acknowledge the debt if you think you have paid it already. Otherwise the clock is reset again and the six year period starts now.

  • Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

    This isn't a consumer issue.

    I reckon he's in trouble and desperately lookingvforcany sources of funds he can think of.

    Is he a friend?

  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Suitusir

    I do owe money for the certificate of Compliance that was done last month but he has that on the same invoice as the drawings he says he forgot to charge me for 8 years ago, Probably need to ask for a separate invoice

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

    fook em

    his loss , move on

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Suitusir

  • Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭looksee

    Tell him tough over the 8 year one and ask for a new invoice just showing the letter of compliance, and pay that.