Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a hot water cylinder

Options
  • 07-06-2022 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Trying to get an idea of the cost involved in moving a hot water cylinder, from the bathroom on the first floor, to the garage on the ground floor, next to the gas boiler. Both the cylinder (insulated copper) and the gas boiler are about 8 years old.

I've spoken to one guy who wants to charge 2.2k just to move it, which doesn't include a pump (which I believe we would need) or replacing it with a new larger cylinder.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If you don't need a pump now then I can't see why you'd want one with the cylinder downstairs. So long as the cold water tank stays in the attic then there will enough pressure to force the hot water from downstairs to the upstairs.

Can't help you with the price. It's the type of job that requires a site inspection before pricing.

You need to know if the prices quoted include the cost of the electrician. I'd imagine the electrician will get several hundred for bringing the supply to the garage. The heating system goes into the coil in the cylinder so heating pipework needs moving too. If you have a hot water zone on the heating then the motorised valve most likely needs moving too. If you don't have a hot water zone then you should get one while the work is going on. This is all more work for the electrician as well as the plumber

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dexenduction

Thanks for the reply.

We currently have 3 zone heating. The motorised valves for each zone are in the garage with the boiler.

The need for the pump was based on replacing the current electric shower in the bathroom with a "rainfall shower" head

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A decent pump is going to set you back €400 to €600 without installation

You could get a Triton Novel SR power shower installed. It has it's own built in pump. The rain head below is new on the market. It's made by Triton & is designed to be used with the Triton Novel SR & the Triton T90SR. It retails for around €150. Triton Novel SR retails for under €300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Sleeper I’d say €600 would struggle to buy a twin brass head pump now with materials increase.

When I converted the heating in my old house from Solid fuel to oil, the hot water cylinder was downstairs and for a long time couldn;t figure out why I had no hot water a lot of the time turns out that because the cylinder was down below the upstairs rads convection was loosing the heat and keeping the bathroom rad warm for hrs after the heating went off! So something that may or may not happen you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement