Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a toning belt for abs workout

Options
  • 07-06-2022 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Never used one before and was looking at slendertone toning belt.

Can anyone advise me what's the best toning belt to use for under €200.

I want to start getting into shape and the reason why anyone ask why can't I do muscle exercise myself the proper way , I fractured my lower ribs on right side and it's not easy to do exercises around the waist in general. This is a accident like over 15 years ago so I want to see if a toning belt can help.

Any advice appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

These things don't work. Two reasons:

Abs are built in the kitchen - there is a line of thought from the average joe that you just pop a belt on and will have abs in a few weeks. If you aren't lean enough you can do as many crunches as you want and you'll never see abs. You could wear the belt forever and never see abs. Getting to a lower body fat percentage is going to be far more beneficial in terms of seeing abs than any gimmicky belt. And the belt will have 0 impact in getting you to a lower BF percentage. That'll occur by being in a caloric deficit.

Secondly, I believe these work by causing an involuntary flex through some sort of electric stimulation. Is that enough to actually cause muscle growth? Through damaging muscle fibers which are then filled in - it's highly doubtful that the belt is going to give you anything other than the flex which is going to do nothing for you.

Honestly, if a broken rib is still causing you an issue over 15 years later you should see a professional over the issue because something clearly isn't right with that. Your core is used in a myriad of exercises for balance - your abs will be getting a workout in various exercises even when you aren't consciously targeting them. So for you to have an ongoing issue of 15 years with your core will greatly impede your progress on this journey if not seen to.

Advertisement