Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain after extraction

Options
  • 06-06-2022 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Got a molar lower jaw taken out this day last week. Was fine first couple of days then the pain started. Been getting by on a cocktail of panadol and nurofen since thursday. The clot doesnt look like is is disturbed nor does it look swollen enough to be infected. The thing i would describe it was stinging and constant but sort of mild. Sometimes if i am distracted i forget its sore. Now the bank holiday week is over should i ring the dentist in the morning. I really dont want to as they will tell me to come in and the dentist is an hour and a half away and i dont really have time with work. If i though the pain would just go away in a few days i would just keep going with the pain killers . Am i risking it not ringing the dentist. Pain isnt really getting worse or better and seems almost everpresent. Gum is sore to touch at the side of the extraction site. Rinsing with corsydl provides temporary relief. One nurofen and two panadol do knock out the pain but leave me drained. If i dont take them its too sore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sounds like dry socket or that there may be debris/food caught inside socket. If I were you I would contact your dentist, the socket may need to be flushed, dressed and an antibiotic. This will only take a few minutes and you might wonder why it was necessary, but it can give huge relief and aid healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Thanks you could be right

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TripAdvisor

I had exactly the same problem and was told dry socket (never heard of it before)but a week now since extraction and it has finally calmed, just trying to adjust now to eating with only one tooth on lower left while I bide my time to try implant 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Update i went back and it was a dry socket alright. He flushed it, scraped some food out and created new bleeding (ouch). He told me that treat it like it was day one again. Nothing hot , nothing chewy or crunchcy. No rinsing for 24 hours. It took another 6 days to calm down. Better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

'dry socket' is the worst had it after an extraction my goodness the pain😫 was desperate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Louise A. Garcia

Oh, it is awful to hear; once, my friend also discussed with me about dry socket and how it hurt her. You can go through this may help you not sure https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dry-socket/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354382

Advertisement