Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Smart Watch

Options
  • 06-06-2022 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Looking to get a smart watch for my ten year old so I can call and text, wouldn't trust them with a phone as it would get lost! Any ideas on one?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

I would greatly appreciate recommendations and advice also!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah we got two Xplora x5s one for our 10 year old and one for our 8 year old.

So you put the contact numbers that you will allow them to call or “text” in the watches.

You download the Xplora app that allows you to text them and you can also view any texts they get from any of their contacts.

The watches are gps so will show you a very precise location for where the watch is at a given time plus the history of where the watch has been.

The x5 doesn’t connect to the internet so they can’t browse.

They won’t receive texts unless it’s via the app, but they can text emojis and pre defined messages from the watch to anyone of their contacts you put in the watch.

You need to get a SIM card for the watches- hint- don’t go with Tesco, for some reason the sims don’t work well in the watches (their customer helpline advice not mine!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Just wondering if you have opinions a month on? Ordered a moochies and sent it back after 1 day useless. Looking at getting an xplora

I have to say they are a brilliant gadget- so much so I make sure the kids have them on their wrist before they leave the house so they can be located in case they ever get lost.

They love being able to keep in contact with their friends via the watch but myself and the wife know they can’t access the internet so that’s very important to us.

Id recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Great sounds good. Thanks for coming back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Hi. What provider did you use for the SIM card ? Thanks 😊

I’m using 48 now.

We were using Tesco but the sims worked intermittently and they charged us for a few months after we had cancelled.

We ended up having to contact our bank to cancel the subscription (not DD) to stop payments coming out.

It took a while for Tesco to refund the owed amounts- so my advice would be steer clear of Tesco mobile anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

Hi,

I just got the Xplora X6Play for my 10YO and im jsut wondering if there are any restrictions on where I get the sim? On the site it mentions Tesco and Three but Tesco was given the thumbs down above and Three appear to be very expensive.

I saw someone mention Lyca mobile (i think) as a good option, what experience does anyone here have of this?

Thanks!

Edit - I see the post about 48 above and that they use the Three network so ill go with them!

Yep 48 is the one to use- we’ve had no issues with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fearmor123

Hi - followed this thread and went with 48 for our watch. Calls and sms work fine, but location isn’t working on the watch/app. I tried to put in the apn that 48 suggest on website and it allows chat function to be used when not on WiFi, so believe the details are correct, but location still can’t be picked up.

anyone have same issue? Any ideas how to fix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

hi

We’ve just bought the xplora for our 10 year old so he can have a little more freedom and looking at what sim to get. Did you get the 48 one sorted for GPS?

Advertisement