Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw Advice needed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

you say you need to cut 4" which is 101.6 mm both of these saws have a max cut of 80mm. the table saw has a brushed motor which will make it extremely noisy, so you will need ear muffs . and the cut on a band saw of that size will wander all over the place giving you different thicknesses along the cut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, worth mentioning that table saws can be dangerous if used incorrectly, band saws are much less likely to cause injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

OK, I used a bad example of 4"x3" .... maybe 3"x3" would have been better.

From a noise perspective the band saw would definitely be preferable.

Would there be any great difficulty cutting off 1/8" (~3mm) thick slices using the band saw (not forcing the cut), and probably more importantly what blade would be most suitable?

Are there other alternatives that anyone would recommend?

Could you explain what causes this ?...

the cut on a band saw of that size will wander all over the place giving you different thicknesses along the cut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a very specific requirement they have, so one question would be - is this for a once off job? if so, might be a bit much to buy a tool for a specific job, especially if they're not familiar with the tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Table saw best in my experience for repetitive cuts. Stability and weight do make quite a difference. You can maybe improve a cheaper light weight set up by stabilising and improvising your own fence rather than a more flimsy one supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Repetitive so machine required.

It appears that a circular blade which has much better stability is what is required for this job.

It is a pity that it will be noisy ..... so I guess a pair of good earmuffs is a must.

Also I must ensure that proper safety precautions are well known and practiced.

One last question ... assuming a table saw like I linked to ....

would the advice be to set up the guide to allow ~3mm between blade and guide or to take the other route and adjust the guide by ~3mm for each cut?

Advertisement