Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wavin AJ, possible to block off one inlet?

Options
  • 06-06-2022 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Long story (involves not awesome levels/drop in waste route) but I have an AJ which tends to be a place which some solids tend to linger :) that inlet which it does isn't used.

Is there a way to block that inlet inside the AJ, maybe just in a temp way? It's the one coming in from the right, flow is from bottom to top.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Yep there is a tool for that

If you are leaving it down the drain long term then heavily grease all the metal parts including internally (inside the rubber bit) and the screw thread.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Superb, will give that a go :)

btw no need to get the one I listed on Amazon any builders merchants should have them.

Obviously do be careful how you handle that and make sure you don't drop it down the drain. If you are working single handed (due to the depth) you need to adjust the compression on the rubber washer so when you put it up the drain the rubber just holds it in position. Keep taking it out and adjusting it and refitting until it goes in and is tight enough so there is enough friction for you to start to tighten the washer up.

Now assuming its actually the branch on the LEFT, it looks to me like the AJ wasn't put in level and the flow is diverted to the left branch because its lower. The plug won't stop some material being caught there but filling and shaping a sand and cement mix would.

Yea, I understand it won't stop any material - it wouldn't be a problem if there was a water from from the left branch but there is none as it was added as a potential drain for a future project. Will think about the sand/cement mix in the future, could well just be a small dam I suppose.

Thanks again for the pointer, unsure how I didn't find something like that before while I was searching.

Those drain plugs really aren't used that often. Their main use would be for drain testing and you don't see that being done every day :-)

They aren't meant to be left in place and just in case you forget to take a look at the condition occasionally some sort of safety chain (brass?) might save loosing a rusted up drain plug down the drain. I think you are OK as I've not seen the rubber on the modern ones fail. On some of the old cast iron and brass ones I used to use the rubber used to eventually perish but I suspect it was natural rubber.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the exact same thing :) to have it tied by safety wire to the lid of the AJ 'just in case'

There is one small issue you need to be aware of. If there is no pipe going into the right hand junction the gap will be too big around the drain plug for it to grip. You are left with getting it to grip on the edge of the inlet can be done but is more awkward. But on closer inspection of your picture you have a pipe in that left hand junction so that shouldn't be a problem.

Edit> A plastic bag full of a weakish mortar mix (but not too weak 5-1?) might be my solution, I'm sure you could shape it so it can't fall out of the pipe yet the plastic will stop it sticking and a weak mix should allow you to break it up should that become necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not sure if the plug will work in this senario, to fit the plug properly it will have to be pushed up fully into the whole pipe leaving some parking space for solids. A 1 to 1 sand & cement mix would be a better job, ensure pipe is clean & dry and shape mortar smooth with trowel to match pipe to ensure continous flow. Best done when everyone is out for the day to allow the concrete set. Easy to remove later if required.

The OP needs to explain a little better but if you look at the picture you'll notice there is a pipe joined to that unused left hand branch. If that pipe is of any length it could hold a load of solids and the plug would at least stop that.

Yup, there is a pipe connected to the left branch - I will report back how the plug goes first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭chooseusername

There are no pipe connections within the AJ, pipes are connected to female sockets outside the AJ.

The AJ is one piece moulded plastic.

This is a right-hand one, op's is left hand;

If it were me I would dig down and put a blanking cap in the unused socket

Advertisement