Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would I get washers with off-centre holes ?

Options
  • 05-06-2022 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I need something like a steel washer with an off-centre hole (eg like this key if you were to cut off the key part to the right of the red line):

It needs to be steel because a magnet has to attach to it. If its round then I would want it to be no bigger than 2cm diameter and ideally less than 1mm thick

Or something like this would also work if it was the right size:

The one shown is 4cm long and 2mm thick but I want it to be more like 2cm long and < 1mm thick, and it would be better if it had only one hole. I need about 40 of these and basically I figure I am going to have to repurpose something intended for another use. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should search for on ebay/amazon/aliexress to find something I can use ?

In summary I need something:

• A magnet will stick to
    • About 2cm in length and ideally with just one hole for a screw at one end
    • Ideally < 1mm thick (I'm thinking something like a piece of Meccano) .

Any susggestions ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Make it?

Buy a metal disc and drill a hole into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Galvoband + grinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Cut an old key

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

As I said in the original post, I'm going to need about 40 of these so cutting up old keys isn't going to work. Also I don't have any tools for cutting or drilling metal so I need them to be ready made. There must be some other application out there for small, thin metal plates with holes in them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Whatcha doing OP ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Small metal plates with holes in exist aplenty https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/flat-fittings/1766950

As asked above, what do you need it for? Is it the right solution?

Would a slotted washer work for whatever you are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Try MSS in Ballymount

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Best I can come up with

You'd have to hammer the countersink out of them. You'll probably also find then in smaller packs on Amazon but some builders merchants may have them.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Google search "Mending plates"

• Advertisement
Advertisement