Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the right clay for clay oven?

Options
  • 05-06-2022 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

I’m building a clay oven following instructions from The Clay Oven Blog.

I ordered fireclay from the local builders providers, I was expecting a fairly solid smoothish clay material but what has arrived is a drier, loose texture. I think maybe it already has some sand in it?

I’m hoping I can still use this clay, as I can’t return it, by just adding less sand than I would have if it had been solid clay?

here’s a photo of it straight from the bag and then after some water has been added. I did the drop test with the ball and it seemed a good consistency, didn’t make much of a splat but stayed together without cracking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I suspect that nobody has any idea how tolerant to heat that clay will be from the pictures.

I'd suggest making a small prototype, say over a beach ball. Let it dry out thoroughly, then start lighting a few fires, building them up in size and heat and see how it does.

Not much help I'm afraid but best I've got.

Advertisement