Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I encourage my elderly dog to walk more

Options
  • 05-06-2022 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

One of my dogs, medium size is about 12 now(rescue so not sure of exact age) and has really slowed down on walks. Not sure if it's arthritis, vets can't really examine her as she hates vets so they basically pin her down when vaccinating her. Anyway, I was thinking, humans with arthritis/old age are encouraged to exercise and push themselves a bit to maintain muscle. The use it or lose it mentality. Would same apply to dogs ie should I still bring her for half hour walks even if she's really really slow? .Shes still well able to jump on the bed, gets spurts of activity when excited etc. I'll ask vet when we do vaccines in 2 months time but in meantime want to do what's best for her

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, keep bringing her for walks if she is not in pain. Also, take her somewhere different. She may be bored. Maybe her diet is bringing her down..

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

Hard to tell if she's in pain or not. She's just so so slow at walking, i reckon she must have arthritis.I leave her off the lead so she can do her own pace. I got her James beloved old dog food a few months ago but hasn't made a difference. I hurt my own leg a few months ago so walks had gotten shorter, wondering if she's just gotten unfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

personally i wouldn'r force her at her age. 30 mins is prob quite a lot for her years but i guess if you go slow and at her pace, but she prob only needs a few mins to stretch the legs. i've a few old timers and they really need very little exercise these days. they much prefer to spend most of the days snoozing so i leave them be

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

Keep walking her, but as suggested try somewhere new to mentally stimulate her more and start slowly to let her get warmed up before you up the pace.

I adopted an elderly arthritic dog who improved immensely after a few months on synoquin (a joint supplement from the vet) which worked so well that I had to move the cat food dish as she became mobile enough to stand up to reach it on the counter!

Hydrotherapy could be another option too.

But it depends on her type, 12 is young for some breeds but well past the life expectancy of others, so it may just be time to let her slow down and just have off lead wanderings in your garden/park/field rather than structured walks. Although saying that I had an auld fella who would just lie in the grass and sleep but just loved a walk up and down the main street to meet people and stick his head into every shop door.

Thanks everyone. I'll ask vets about synoquin next time am there. The Jack Russell is a few years older and he's flying asking compared to her. She just weighs 10 kg and is mixed breed so not sure what her life expectancy could be. Don't have access to car mostly so yeah maybe she's bored with same walks around the estate. God knows I am :) Used have a few different scenic wild spots close by but she struggles the walk back from these( probably 40 minutes overall at her slow pace, if was on own, just take ten minutes ). I'll ask vets next month, it's a pity dogs can't talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If she’s slow on walks she’s in pain and uncomfortable. Really she needs a proper examination to see where the pain is or at the very least pain relief - not just a joint supplement which may or may not help. My boy will be 13 next month and is happier and more active than he’s been in months since starting hydrotherapy again.

She had a really bad experience at a vets about 6 years ago and has to muzzled now so they haven't been able to examine her in years. Can't even listen to her heart as she gets too distressed with muzzle. I'm planning on sedating her before her next vaccine so maybe they will be able to check her out. Thanks for the advice, I'd assumed was just old age but could be something else wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

Shame you don't have a car, would she let you carry her back home?

Metacam could also be an option - as it's an NSAID it's usually prescribed short term but it can be given long term if their organs are able for it, which means a blood test first and then at least every 6 months to be sure no damage is being caused.

Slowing down could also be due to a heart condition so a through exam by the vet really is the only answer.

Be guided by your dog. If she’s in pain, she won’t want long walks. 10 to 15 minutes would be plenty. Or, if you have room, just let her loose for a gallop. She’ll only gallop if she feels like it or if it doesn’t hurt.

Do you feed oily fish? I like to give oily sardines or mackerel plus cod liver oil daily to all my greyhounds from puppies. I find it helps them in their old age. (I can only talk about greyhounds, a I’ve most experience in them)

Advertisement