Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rubber - BMW R1200RT

Options
  • 03-06-2022 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions from other riders on what might be the best tyre for the R1200RT, looking to get a new set and from what i have seen its seems to be the Michelin Road Pilot tyres but what to see if anyone has had first hand experience using them or any other suggestions like Pirelli or Bridgestone

Keep it civil with the usual BMW banter hahahahaha😂😂😂

Thanks,

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Pirelli Scorpion STR

• Registered Users Posts: 38 XT1200

I on my 4th set of Pirelli Angel GT on an FJR All weather driving and am very happy with wear and grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭johnml

I have Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interacts on my RT. Really impressed with them.

Many of the posters on the Facebook RT owners group recommended this brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I remember putting bridgestones on mine. Bt 023. Excellent tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

For some mad reason, I've had to buy a lot of tyres this year across a number of bikes.

I've bought Avon, Bridgestone - twice, Michelin & Continental.

Right now the first problem you'll have is getting them: took me 8 weeks to get the Conti's (which I specifically wanted). I've had to get tyres from NI, Limerick, Cork & online - I'm in Galway.

The Bridgestone on my Wing have been very good, and the Bridgestones on my son's Honda were one of the few I could get as a matched pair, and well priced (Meskells, Limerick).

So, start by seeing what sellers actually have in stock.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

There's no "bad" sport touring tyre out there at the moment, it's down to what you can find and what price you want to pay.

Bridgestone's BT-023 is actually quite an old tyre, it was launched 12 years ago but it's still a really good tyre. Doesn't stand out in any particular way but does everything well and they're usually found at a decent price. Lee Honda (motorcycleshop.ie) usually have them in stock because the Gardai use them on some of their bikes and Lee happen to service many of the Garda bikes in Cork so worth asking them if you're stuck for a source. Bridgestone T30 and T31 (I think) were the successors to the BT-023, I tried the T30 and found it good but didn't think the price difference over the BT-023 was justified on my Deauville.

Pirelli Angel GTs are great, bit more expensive but if you want a sportier tyre then they'd be good for you, as would the Metzeler Roadtec 01. I've not used the Roadtec 01, couldn't get them when I was looking for new tyres for the VFR, but have used the Metzeler Z8 before and liked them a lot even though they weren't true dual-compound tyres (they used variable tightness on the steel belt behind the rubber to simulate the same effect). The Roadtec 01 is a proper dual-compound tyre though so looks like they abandoned that tech.

Michelin Pilot Road 3s are still an unreal tyre, especially if you like their characteristics in the wet and want a deal as they've been superseded a few times now. The Pilot Road 4 is excellent as well. Newer ones are supposed to be even better.

No experience of other brands I'm afraid but best of luck the search.

Advertisement