Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat and Saorview Streaming to Firestick?

Options
  • 03-06-2022 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning on getting rid of Sky and replacing it with a Combo box to receive Freesat and Saorview channels. This would work fine for our main TV but not for the wall mounted TV in the kitchen which is used way more.

Is there any device (or devices) that will allow me to stream the channels to a Firestick (like IPTV) or is setting up Tvheadend my only option?

I've come across Gigablue combo boxes but their Sat>IP software seems to be proprietary, I'd like something that would work with any IPTV app with an m3u link in case their app gives trouble down the line.

If tvheadend is the best plan is there any recommend device to run it on since raspberry pi's are hard to come by and my one just died on me?

Would appreciate any help or advice, thanks,

Ciarán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

TVHeadend does exactly this for us.

I use Dreamplayer as the client. The only annoying thing about it is that it's a separate purchase for Android TV and for Firestick.

There is also a version of it for Enigma2 boxes which might work directly with your Gigablue idea - what's the model number?

If it says it's an E2 linux box it could work directly to the app on the firestick.

A number of combo boxes can install tvheadend as a plugin if you're running a suitable firmware like OpenATV, but you don't have to run tvheadend on the same machine as the one with the tuners, so if you have a PC on all the time or a server of some kind in the house it might work.

I'm pretty pleased with TVHeadend. I've had it on Raspberry Pi and on an old Proliant Microserver in the attic.

I've been using an old Wetek Play for the last few months and it does the job well. The wetek has built in satellite tuners, but I had to put a USB tuner into the microserver for saorview because the wetek firmware is too old to directly support any of the DVB-T sticks I have to hand.

Do you have any old computer you're not using? Do you have any old satellite boxes?

Might be able to get started with something basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

Very helpful reply thanks! TVHeadend sounds like it might be the way to go so!

Didn't know you could install it on a box as a plugin that's very interesting.

I'm actually setting up a mini pc as a server in my attic for a different project and it's beside the satellite coax.

It's Windows 10 but I'll probably put Ubuntu server or similar on it:

https://droix.co.uk/product/ak3v-windows-10-htpc-minipc-6-64/

So I'd need a DVB-T USB stick to connect with the saorview aerial and a DVB-S2 receiver to connect to the satellite cables? Something like a Telestar DIGIBIT Twin? I have Sky Q but asked that they install a hybrid LNB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

There are limits on availability of tvheadend as a plugin I'm sure, but the enigma2 to firestick/androidtv/kodi works well too.

I've just realised I found tvheadend as a plugin on the Wetek running LibreElec, rather than Enigma.

I've been a linux user for nearly 30 years so I may have subconsciously forced tvheadend on to other boxes where a simple plugin wasn't available!

@Johnboy1951 is the resident tvheadend expert and may have some good advice.

This thread "Repurposing discarded STB hardware" is well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

You should be able to steam directly from a Gigablue without installing a plugin.

If Webif is enabled you can download a M3U file from the Web EPG and import that into IPTV software.

Is the TV a smart one? It may even have an IPTV app you can use.

This is all fantastic information thanks! I'm good with most tech but satellite is all new to me.

I'm going to start with an aerial for saorview and get it streamed to tvheadend running on the server before investing in a satellite tuner. Will post back with updates or if I've any issues.

Thanks again,

Ciarán

• Advertisement

Just an update and tip for anyone else coming getting rid of Sky Q and searching the forum.

I picked up a cheap second hand E2 combo box (Herobox EX4 HD) and updated to the latest image. It works brilliantly receiving channels from the dish, and I have a saorview aerial ordered. Very impressed with Webif for organising the channel bouquets. Dream player app works great with it without any plugins or server, it just streams channels straight from the box (ever with box in standby), thanks for recommending @niallb

I might upgrade the box down the line if I find we're using it allot and want more tuners. I might also set up recording, tvheadend server etc but I think the simple set up is great for now and has only cost under €70 for combo box and UHF antenna.

Now a tip for anyone coming from Sky Q; I knew Sky Q uses a diffenent LNB so I asked the installer to use a hybrid LNB which he did but I didn't get many channels when I scanned with the box, turns out the coax had to be moved to another output of the LNB (from one maked Wideband to one marked Legacy), when I realised I hopped out onto the flat roof and had it done in seconds but others might need a ladder or replacement LNB if they don't have a hybrid one. Apparently some types of hybrid LNB's can use any output but not in my case.

Thanks again @dam099 and @niallb for the help, looking forward to getting rid of the monthly TV bills now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

Maybe a bit late but I've recently got a similar setup going. Cable from dish and aerial goes to a HP mini PC running linux. USB tuners for DVB-S2 (Hauppauge WIN TV Nova-S2 TV USB) and DVB-T (xbox one TV tuner and cheap chinese one). TVheadend and Plex Server on the PC. Then firestick, google TV, phone and tablets are running Kodi (with PlexKodiConnect).

This allows all channels, recording and Plex content in the one tidy Kodi interface on all devices. All runs nicely over wifi. Currently only one satellite tuner into the PC but I may consider another one to allow for multi channels or recordings. The set up was a bit tricky and took a little bit of time but once its done, its working really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Sorry for jumping in but this is a fascinating read. I’d consider myself very techky but not when it comes to TVheadend - never used it before. ive just moved house and wondering if this will be a suitable option for me. I plan to have 4 TV’s. One in sitting room which has a free to air combo box and Vodafone iptv currently. I’d like to replicate this on the other 3 TV’s. Can someone explain to me in simple terms how this is possible with tvheadend? I’ll be getting rid of Vodafone iptv after the year (came with a broadband deal)but would prefer not to have a combo box on all TV’s. Thanks in advance

I don't know anything about Vodafone IPTV or if you can capture it in tvheadend, but my setup could work for you for the freesat channels.

I've 2 TV's with firesticks and the dream player app (see link below - it'll also work on android devices but it's a separate purchase). The firesticks are receiving all free Irish and UK stations from my Enigma 2 combo box. I can even record from either TV as I've added storage to the box. Works great and very simple setup, no tvheadend needed.

I'd only use 1 TV at a time so don't have to worry about number of tuners but that's something you'd have to consider with 4 TV's. I've the combo box connected by network cable and firesticks on strong signal 5ghz WiFi, so streaming isn't an issue but again something to consider in your setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

That’s great man, much appreciated. I will look into this today as I’m off. Really appreciate this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 lenovo1

Trying to get my head around this.

I have my house wired for cables from satellite dish and saorview to 4 rooms.

So far I only have a Sony TV picking up saorview and FTA in the living room.

However in the kitchen the saorview and satellite cable enter at the wrong location. So we just have a portable aerial and furestick for the TV. The saorview is hit and miss.

Any TV I buy for the bedroom probably won't have a satellite receiver so I was going to get the Manhattan SX Freesat box.

I understand I need a server. Would the Manhattan box do that job? If not what the most basic device that would?

Would actually be simple if firestick remote controlled TV.

I'm not an expert but hopefully can explain in simple terms what I know, though I may be wrong on parts.

The Manhatten box is only a freesat receiver so you won't be able to receive saorview on it. If you want to do that you'll need a Combo box (with DVB-T2 and DVB-S tuners). I also don't think you're able to receive its tuned channels on other TV's. If you want to do that you'll need a enigma 2 receiver or setup a server with usb tuners.

The issue with wanting to watch more than 1 TV at a time that I mentioned above is definitely something to consider if you're trying to get channels on 4 TV's.

In a simple set up like mine with 2 tuners (1x DVB-T2 and 1 x DVB-S) you can only watch the same satellite channel on the other TV or a saorview channel in the same group (known as a mux - saorview has its channels split into 2 of these groups) as the first TV. If you go for more tuners you can watch more (2x DVB-T2 would cover all TV's for saorview, DVB-S is down to how many satellite channels you want to watch or record at the same time) I think with a wide band LNB on your satellite dish and a compatible receiver you can watch more channels at the same time.

Advertisement