If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.
Hello all! This is just a quick reminder to ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere.

Recommend child psychologist/therapist please

  • 02-06-2022 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37 mpif

    Hi everyone,

    I hope it's OK for me to post this here (if not, please refer me to the right place before you delete my post).

    I am looking for a recommendation of a good child psychologist or a therapist. I'm a bit wary of the idea of therapist because I don't really want to get hooked into a therapy 'style' and a course of sessions. To be honest, I would rather a professional that can identify what is the matter with my child and recommend some solutions.

    The child in question is a 10 year old girl with self esteem and depression issues, who also has issues with lying and stealing. She's had issues for a while, but I always tried to address it myself and felt I was getting somewhere - not anymore. I'm at the end of my rope.

    So if anyone can recommend anyone or even has any experience of dealing with similar issues, I'd like to hear from you, please.

    Location wise, we are based in the Midlands, but I'm open to Dublin and kildare as well.



  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cantfindmyway

    Anybody have a recommendation for a top, experienced specialist child psychologist in Dublin? Is there an organisation for child psychologists only? (a lot of psychologists seem to list it on their websites along with every other conceivable form of psychology).

  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ Ljmscooter

    Gp referral to CAMHS would be my advice.

    Or jigsaw are also good

  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭ dbas

  • CAHMS will take forever (depending on your location), and unfortunately she'd have to be at crisis point before they prioritise her.

    I recommend play therapy, we got a subsidised block through our family resource centre and it really helped on of our daughters. They also have a subsidised counselling service for older kids that might be better.

    Obviously not every town has this service but it's worth looking into.

  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭ anndub

    Play therapy is still appropriate for a child that age and is a great starting point in figuring out overlying issues causing behaviours.

    Stay away from CAHMS. It is chronically under resourced and as a result over reliant on prescribing medication rather than offering useful therapies.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭ Sunrise_Sunset

    How would I go about getting play therapy subsidised? Child doesn't have a dx yet.