Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm/Feral cat with ticks

Options
  • 01-06-2022 9:45pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been feeding a rake of badly neglected cats over the last few years, some arrive with infected scratches, broken legs, half beaten up, starved, infected eyes and ears, the works. I've been trying to befriend them to be able to catch them but it's a very, very, very slow process. The most scaredy one of them who has been through the wars has only recently allowed me to pet him and to disinfect his eyes while he eats. I can't go near him unless he's feeding on my footstep. I managed to drop a vial of Frontline between his shoulders yesterday, as he had quite a few ticks, but I checked today and the ticks are still all there. More worryingly, one of them had "spawned" and lots of tiny dots (most likely eggs) were visible around it. I'm going to ring the vet in the morning, but in the meantime is there anything else I can use to kill them off before they hatch? I'm wary of using more Frontline so close to the previous dose, but I don't know what else to do. I know full well the dangers they pose. Spray them with methylated spirit? Constructive suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Fair play to you, New Home!

It generally takes up to 24 hours or so for Frontline to kill ticks, and a few more days before they drop off.

Failing that, isn't there an edible anti-tick tablet for cats now? Might something like that be an option?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks DBB, and apologies, your reply got lost in the middle of all the notifications (bring back the old Boards!!).

I had thought of the tablet, too, but it's hard enough to body-block my own two to get them to take it, I can't imagine what it'd be like to try and feed it to "Squishy" (he has a squishy face, like Bagpuss but much cuter 😊).

On Friday the tick with the eggs was still latched on tightly, so I did something I probably wouldn't have done in normal circumstances and doused it and the eggs with a few drops from another vial and put the rest between the cat's shoulder blades. I figured, being outside in the tall, damp grass, half of the previous dose got rubbed off...

I also got in touch with the SPCA to see if there's anything else I can do to improve the cats' circumstances, hopefully I'll get some pointers or they'll intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

I had this task not so long ago and after a uphill struggle I can list what worked for me:

Find out where they sleep if its on your land make them a new place to hangout/sleep and hang out they like things up high. Remove and destroy older bedding.

Ask your local vet about BRAVECTO® PLUS and get the high dose /mg version it's much more potent it also covers worms. results in 12 hours. Does have side effects cats may be dopey, lethargic, thirsty.

Also Ask about 'Prednisolone' is a general steroid medication to boost the immune system.

Some of them may have skin conditions that the cat food from supermarket makes worse. I started feeding them real chicken and beef with high quality dry cat nuts and within weeks they all looked healthier and gained healthy weight. They loved raw steak, lol, but i used to put it in boiling water for about 2min to down on nasties.. Chicken was cooked through removed bones.

Medications can make them very thirsty access to clean and plentiful water is a must they tend to sleep all day and hunt all night so there's nothing wrong with them during the day you might panic think the cats are dying but hes just sleeping / lazing.

The eye conditions tend to work themselves out if the other stuff is sorted..

My focus was on; clean bedding, anti parasite control, Immune system medications, combing with a flea comb, quality real and dry food & clean water.

if you don't sort the bedding you'll never see an end to the parasites, make them a new bed area show them by placing food in the same area.

Its a labour of love <3 they are the most 'mental' in a irish way, creatures i ever encountered!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks Decon, there's at least a dozen of them, they're semi-feral so they sleep wherever is most comfortable to them at any given time, including into derelict houses, etc. I doubt I can afford steak for the lot of them (I'd rather avoid bankruptcy for now).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bear in mind that prednisone/prednisalone doesn't boost the immune system... it's an immunosuppressant and whilst it certainly has it's place with treating skin disorders, it comes with not inconsiderable side effects. A gradual withdrawal is very important to prevent other issues from developing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

you can only do what you can do, build them a hut they may stay, (look online for ideas) keep it clean and go from there, the dry cat food is prob the better than wet pouches, but the pouches re easier to eat. zooplus.ie for deals..

Advertisement