Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the classic "could I speak to the manager?" and handing in your CV still work?

Options
  • 01-06-2022 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm 22 and my current job has just gotten terrible recently. It's hospitality and we're honestly being worked like dogs. Easily half the people they hire quit within the first 4 weeks.They can't find enough staff and they're having us do crazy shifts. Last year I was pretty content there. I don't think it's worth sticking it out- it's only minimum wage.

I've checked Indeed and got a few interviews, but thing is, these jobs are all 20km+ away and I don't have my license yet, so I'd be catching busses. It's doable, but it would be handier to find work closer to home. I'm half thinking of handing my CV into some local restaurants and shops but idk if I'd be laughed at. It's only summer and maybe weekend work as I'm starting a postgrad in autumn

Comments

Not since 1985 when Jackie went into the newly opened Quinnsworth store in Co Mayo.

Today, you might get a business card with an email address of said manager.

or be told, sorry no, go on to jobs.ie !!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Yes, worth a try. Hospitality is always hiring, but now more so than ever. Ask. If the manager isn't there, tell them you are looking for work, have some experience in hospitality and ask if there is someone there you can speak to.

If no one is available, ask can you leave your CV for the manager. Any hospitality place will be glad to find staff at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think you'd still se some places with Staff Wanted signs. Some places might prefer to go through he rigmarole of sifting CVs interviewing, and so on. Some places might just have a recent vacancy might be happy to hire someone who shows up with a CV and can do a quick interview on the spot.

Can't hurt to try as long as you're prepared to be told 'no'

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I think best bet is to look for places that say they're hiring, if you're looking for the same type of work a good few restaurants still do put notices up.

If it's a pub and restaurant you could try just have a drink and chat to the person working, if they're not too busy. And just mention then that you're looking for work.

By dropping in CVs unsolicited you would just need to be lucky and hit a place that is going to be looking but hasnt had a chance to advertise yet. No harm in trying and some employers may admire your old school approach (tbh only hospitality is the industry this would still be done in at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

It all depends. In my place, if someone came in in person, I would absolutely interview them then and there. But I’m currently hiring for trainee welders, experienced welders and a maintenance person, so I expect that’s different if you’re walking in to a big office type company.

Personally, I think it shows you really want to work, and that’s half the battle in my industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 AxelF84

As a manager in the retail sector this is still the approach that is adopted and we would usually interview them there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

theres loads of jobs in hospitality, is there not laws, you cant force people to work 60 plus hours,?

i think most jobs are advertised on jobs.ie or other websites, i think cafes ,shops, will accept a cv,if they are looking for staff .

Advertisement