Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve Elne Co Clare - does any geographer know of it?

Options
  • 01-06-2022 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

In Dr Healy's 1905 book, The Life and Writings of St Patrick, he refers to Patrick standing on the hill at Knockpatrick south of Foynes and blessing the land northwards as far as Slieve Elne and eastwards as far as Slieve Aughty (nearish to Loughrea). Obviously it's a typical exaggeration but I'm trying to identify where Slieve Elne is/what it is called now.

Dr Healy's commentary says: Knockpatrick ...rises to a height of 574 ft over the level of the river and it is the only hill south of the Shannon for which Patrick could obtain that far-reaching view over the County Clare....

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

Slieve Elva?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I find this utility useful for such queries:

I inputted a new panoramic as follows (a guess at the location, so best input the coords yourself):

• Knockpatrick
    • latitude 52.599309 N longitude 9.113374 W
    • elevation 396 ft above sea level (6 ft above ground)

It was then able to generate a visual map and a panoramic of the peaks from that vantage-point.

Maghera can be seen NNE (roughly in line with "Slieve Aughty").

A Northern perspective gives:

• Ben Dash: 850ft, 13mi
    • Slievecallan: 1250ft, 18mi

I see a hill 4km to the West of Corofin which is about 580 ft.

Anyway - have a play around on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thank you both! I did wonder was it Slieve Elva. And God bless your trust in my abilities 10-10-20 - I will try my hand at that!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This might work:

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=GUP2WPPC

That was using a altitude of ground-level at the point mentioned, plus 12ft (so St Patrick standing on a ladder :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

On that link, Slievecallan is the only one that looks like a possibility - it's 18m north(west) but hard to see how Slieve Elne would become Slievecallan whereas Elva/Elne seem similar. Looks like Slieve Elva is about 30 miles from Foynes as the crow flies. I will try the Placenames Commission too and see can they help.

Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement