Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible Dreamcast mini?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That would be interesting and wonderful but unlikely, does the console have enough recognition to make it a success, aside from broken unemployed Sega Forum Moderators, living on such rumour scraps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Yeah, I did think that to be honest at first, but couldn't think what they'll announce instead of it. Could just be a rerelease of the MD Mini given they're still in demand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

An official portable Megadrive would be a popular device, I imagine.

Certainly, looking at the horrors that AtGames have inflicted upon us there is a market gasping for an official portable Megadrive console with a decent screen and much the same games line-up as the home based mini-console.

They can even use the name of the actual portable Megadrive, The Nomad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One could argue that it has more global recognition than the PC Engine and we saw a mini one of those- so fingers crossed!

And yes, I'll be petitioning the reopening of the glorious Sega forum the moment it's announced. You'll be the first to be banned 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dreamcast emulation would be the issue. You'd need quite the powerful ARM chip to do it justice or otherwise end up with the absolute **** show of the PS1 mini. I think the ARM processors available that would meet requirements for DC emulation would be prohibitively expensive.

If it's going to be anything I'd say maybe a Master System mini with Game Gear compatibility made in conjunction with M2. Their work on the Game Gear mini is essentially wasted on something totally unplayable and would be nice to get their new Aleste game on a system as the rom isn't compatible with emulators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pretty sure I seen Senjin Aleste can be ran through Teknoparrot. Not something I've dabbled in, arcade 'roms' of this era are antivirus catnip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm. Been a while since I checked but at the time it hadn't been engineered to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'll tell you one thing: Sega better shell out for the rights to those Offspring tracks for Crazy Taxi for any Dreamcast Mini.

Booted up the PC version on the Steam Deck only to be met with the fresh heartbreak of remembering that 'yah yah yah yah yah' had been cut (along with all the Pizza Hut / Levis / KFC / Tower Records product placement).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

What was wrong with the ps1 mini? I have one of these thrown in the cupboard and haven't opened it yet.

I remember as a child we had to change our shopping department because they were renovating the roof at the time. In the other dept they had a dreamcast demo station (as opposed to a playstation demo) I remember being disgusted by the console - the look of it, the games, everything.

Where to start.

Emulation quality was terrible

They used the slower PAL versions of the games

And then they played poorly with frame pacing issues and screen tearing.

It's rubbish and Sony look to be repeating the same mistakes for their new roll out of ps plus.

Not sure how you could have been disgusted by the Dreamcast. It was a weird looking console alright but it was a massive leap over every other console at the time. Even the ps2 took a while for it's games to match and beat the Dreamcast in the first few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I think it was more the monstrosity of the controller, not fitting in my children hands coupled with whatever awful game they had running (probably an adult's game)

I remember the playstation demo had Tekken 3 running and this was amazing, there were queues of people waiting to play.

Tekken 3 is the better game but Dead of Alive 2 and to a lesser extent Virtua Fighter 3TB were a massive leap over Tekken 3 visually. Dead or Alive 2 still looks great. Probably just a bad game to show off.

Advertisement