Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider ID

Options
  • 30-05-2022 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a load of these inside my shed and they only seem to come out at night along the walls. This one was about the size of a two euro coin. Any idea what type it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

False Widow. Burn the place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Yep, False widow. Just keep an eye out for them as they can have a nasty bite

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'false widow' is a name given to a few spiders from the steatoda family. could be a steatoda grossa - which is not the headline grabbing false widow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steatoda_grossa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Thanks for the info.

I had a bite from something on my hand awhile back which swelled up and took antihistamine to help. I suspected it happened while shoving open my sliding shed door in the dark as I noticed the bite soon after. Think I'll be a little more careful now just in case but who knows could have been some other bug.

Advertisement