Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complete & Utter Novice

• 30-05-2022 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a few tips and suggestions, Myself and my wife plus 4 young kids have never step foot in a campervan but decided it would be good to mix it up for the kids as they're probably getting too used to hotels abroad.

We have 5 nights campervan rental booked for Mayo, rough plan is to maybe go to Cong for two nights and Westport for 3 nights might do a day trip to Achill in the middle of Westport, maybe there is other places we are not thinking of?. The only thing that's bothering me is we're not the type's to have done this and want to make sure we don't make any rookie mistakes in terms of the campervan itself and the route's we are going on.

Any tips welcome even if you think its the simplest most basic point, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I was you 7 years ago.

Never had a camper or caravan, but had the itch. 4 Young kids, all under 10, hotels never an option, needed a way to get out and about.

Rented a Camper from Castlebar (I'm guessing same place as you). Went to Kerry, Cork, and Mayo, Galway. Loved every minute of it. Once we knew it was for us, spent a year solid looking for the right camper. Eventually found it. Six seats and belts, and ample room for all of us to sleep. Heading to Keel in Achill on Friday, can't wait. Every trip still feels like the first one.

Now that I'm done reminiscing, some advice.

• It's not a car, it will accelerate slowly, feel odd for the first few miles, and you could hide a convoy in the blind spot behind you. Take it handy, and don't let other road users push you to driving in a manner you ain't comfortable with. Drive at your own pace, and pull in if you get a chance and see a queue forming behind you, but don't feel pressured to let everyone by all the time -only when you can.
    • Ask plenty of questions when picking it up. Be familiar with how the fridge works (Gas v Mains), how the electric hookup works, how the heating works, and the toilet too - even check you know how to operate the blinds. These will all be net new to you, and you don't want to be working it out in site. While you are at it, know how to fill fresh water, and how to empty the toilet and grey water (you generally do that over a specific grate on site, the site will also have a place to dispose of the chemical toilet waste).
    • When you arrive at site, give some thought to which way you orientate the camper when you park, and also to specifically where you park. Think about view versus privacy, and as you have 4 small kids, closer to toilet block is better. Yes, the camper has a kitchen and a toilet, but using the site bathrooms, and washing up in the common kitchen is both easier, and better. We really only wash up in the camper when wild parked. You will have levellling blocks to make the camper more comfortable when stationary. A camper tilting can make for a less comfortable sleep. Use them if you have to. Have the other half guide you onto them.
    • You don't have an awning probably, so moving when parked up is usually easier. Generally, we avoid this, and stay local. Just make sure you leave something like a table or chair on your pitch, so someone doesn't accidentally take it while you are gone. Make sure everything is secure before you take off, fridge, presses, windows closed. Stuff clattering about as you take off is very distracting.
    • Don't try to drive off with the electric hookup attached. I swear I never did this....
    • People in other campers and caravans are alot more friendly whan you might be used to. If you're stuck with something, I guarantee you that 99% of the site will be only too happy to help you out.
    • Sweeping out every morning and evening keeps sand and muck out of the beds.
    • Open a window or skylight before boiling the kettle.
    • 3 Small kids fit just fine in the overhang. No, they won't fall out.
    • Remember when packing, last in, first out. Put what you will need first, in last to avoid rummaging.

Have fun, and see you out there on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

fair play thanks, picking up knock so shouldn't be on the road too much which I'm glad for first time, but still 40 odd minute spins so kids have the novelty of it. I think the guy I'm getting it off gives a 45 minute run through so I will get him to show me everything and even the important stuff twice!

I'm really looking forward to it as kids will love the adventure of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You didn't say when you are going so I've no idea if you've been yet.

I'd pass on staying in Westport for 3 nights, maybe one. Old head beach is lovely, if you arrive early you will get parking, then I'd stay on Achill (Keel beach campsite or the east end of the beach) or maybe Mulranny. Carrowinskey beach would also be a good bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some of the roads on Achill are fairly tight for a novice campervan driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just back from a week with a rented van.

The OP may be gone but these are a few comments.

On LH bends on narrow roads, mind the back end beyond the back axle doesn't clip the wall.

With the high CoG with the 100 l fresh water tank etc , the road camber requires slower driving on bends.

When reversing beware of high objects such as road signage.

We didn't find the makeshift blind for the front until night 3 :)

Turn off gas when driving and dont turn ignition when plugged in.

Travel very light in terms of clothes and gear.

If not used to driving a van, practice reversing, with the OH as a guide, and beware of the bike rack.

Consider getting th relevant OSI maps, we had them and great for finding remote , small beaches

Have fun

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement