Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People with Addictions

Options
  • 29-05-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

I know today I might be heavy going but Ive a fair bit on my brain that I reckon might be better putting out there. I've a friend who passed three weeks ago, alcoholic. I've two other people in my life with addiction. I had to put distance between myself and them after years as it all got really heavy trying to help. Calls at three in the morning, suicide threats and I just cut the head off that snake and said no more. An element of guilt has crept in that perhaps I could have done more for my friend and the same applies for the relations with addiction issues. Through all the conversations I have had with people close to me, the general consensus is that people with addiction do lie and will lie to get their own way. Before putting distance between myself and others with addiction issues (tried to help but you can bring a horse to water and make it drink, but they have to want to help themselves) I know these addicts would try to be manipulative and I wouldn't acquiesce , I just walked away as I refused to be used.

Does anyone here with addiction, recovered or those living with similar circumstances come across similar situations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Addiction causes isolation from those around u

Damaged broken relationships.Behaviour and manipulation lies etc like u said

Advertisement