Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No pay for 12 weeks

• 28-05-2022 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I started teaching in a school under an ETB that pays monthly but still haven't been paid and the pay date for May has passed. By June when the next day pay comes around I will be at 12 weeks with no wages despite working non stop. The school is an hour away from me and costs me 60 euro a week on public transport to get to work, I won't have enough money left to get to work by the end of next week. Ive contacted the office about this but they've been slow to reply and when they do, they're not really answering me just saying they'll get back to me with an answer but never do. I have allot of costs to cover and no other financial supports, im in debt now after trying to support myself over the last month, all my savings are gone, I don't know how im going to put fuel in my car or buy food next week. I also have a small break away at the bank holiday weekend that ill have to cancel now and lose money on as I can't afford to go. My last bit of money went on paying 6 months off my car tax as I couldn't afford to pay the entire year.

Is there anything I can do about this? How is it allowed to happen that payroll can let a member of staff go literally months without pay?! How do they sleep at night knowing that the staff whose wages they're responsible for are potentially putting their children to bed hungry or unable to pay the rent/mortgage or keep the electricity on. This is a total disgrace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I work in the health service up North. I wasn't paid for the first 2 months I worked there. First time I put it down to not being there in time for the monthly cut off. Second time was unexplainable and I went to my manager, didn't help. Went to payroll and they couldn't explain why I wasn't paid. Refused to leave without them putting my wage into my account.

They asked me to leave and that they would try and sort something but I wouldn't budge and I didn't leave and maintained I was going to stay there until I got paid. Eventually they 'figured it out' and got it sorted. I'm sure there was a more adult way to go about it than that, but I was adamant I was getting paid.

If you kick up enough fuss and stomp your feet, you might get a solution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If all your forms are in order and you have submitted everything you were supposed to, get the union involved. They will have it sorted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LunaIsMyUsername

Ive submitted everything and have had no remarks made on the forms I submitted so it's my understanding that everything on them is correct. I did have to request the form for writing down my bank details 3 times and eventually just had to go up the ETB and request it be given to me there an then, it wasn't added in with all the other forms they emailed to me. Id love to kick up a big fuss about it but I love the job itself and don't want to rock the boat and potentially get a bad name for myself, ruining my chances of getting through the next interviews.

Im not a member of a union, I haven't been able to afford their yearly fees and when I was a member, I contacted them a handful of times for a few different issues I was having, one in particular was a pay related issue where a school I was in wasn't putting my hours in for payroll and I was missing weeks upon weeks of pay. The union were useless, they took ages to get back to me, I could only get in touch with the receptionist and when I did get a phone call it was always during the day, during times when id obviously be in work. Whenever I did get speaking to someone I just felt totally fobbed off. Another time they wouldn't give me any advice or speak to me because my membership was out of date by 2 days. Teacher unions are a bit of a scam as far as im concerned, going by my own personal experience with them.

It's possible to reasonably kick up about it i.e. Don't take no for an answer, politely, because you need to be able to feed yourself, pay rent and buy fuel to get to work. Theres not a boss in the world who won't understand frustration in that context.

• Advertisement

Thanks, yes ive mentioned this in my email to the staff member who inputs hours to payroll. I really get the impression they just don't care! I suppose they will have to care next week when I don't show up to work because I can't afford to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Tell the principal of the school. Explain that you can't afford to travel to school because you haven't been paid. You're sorry etc. but you are worried that you might have to wait until after the holidays and you just can't do that. No way would your principal work for three months with no pay! There's a chance the principal will be able to write you a cheque to tide you over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Agree with above, speak with your principal. They should be able to help. Just be very honest and start the conversation by explaining how embarrassed you are to be having this conversation with them in the first place.

I completely understand that you love the job and want to get back there next year and yes you want to show yourself as a flexible person who keeps their head down and doesn't bring drama to the table. But a line has to be drawn somewhere and you will need to learn to respect yourself in the workplace and not get walked over too.

If your principal doesn't take you back next year because you asked to be paid so that you can eat, then trust me, you do not want to work there.

I can also guarantee you that your principal knows exactly what the ETB are like and while I'm sure they don't know this has happened to you, I bet it's not the first time they have had to deal with it. The ETBs are the worst and how they treat new staff in particular is disgraceful.

Going forward, contact a union and explain your financial situation. If you are on reduced hours they may he able to work out a reduced payment plan for you (they should be able to do this for you, god knows they do feck all for the money they do get so they have everything to gain and nothing to lose by doing it) I hate the union, but I hate the ETBs more.

You deserve to be paid. Get your money and have a lovely summer with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

If you know any solicitors get them to write a letter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the union or not, ask the rep to make (or get a Branch committee member to make) a phone call to payroll telling them they are wearing the union hat and asking wtf is going on.

We used to get this a lot in the 90s, particularly with new people. It was always blamed on incorrectly filled, or late forms, but if your forms are OK, it should be straightforward.

• Advertisement

Crazy that you should feel you might get a "bad name" by asking to be paid for work you have done....... after 12 weeks!!

The only times I worked for Public sector or semi-state bodies it was always the same. I have done contracts for a Government department and the HSE and both times it was incredibly late and slow to get paid, 10 weeks with the HSE. In contrast most of the rest of my working life has been in the private sector and this never happens. You get paid within the first month.

Thank you everyone for your responses. If I don't get any information from the office tomorrow ill take the next steps. It's causing me immense stress wondering how I am going to get by over the next month with no money and are they even going to pay me next month?

I had to fight to get forms to fill out my bank details, it wasn't in with all the other forms so it was in the back of my mind to expect this, just came across as if paying me was way down their priority list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Simply copy 2 or 3 relevant people in on your emails.

Blind copy if necessary.

This would include the principal and possibly someone in dept education

Seems one rather incompetent person is causing the issue and might do others a favour by highlighting them.

When you say the office, do you mean Head Office of your ETB or your local office?

If it's the local one, ring Head Office, or get your Principal or someone from the Union to ring them.

In the 90s, they used to ask 'is the person depending on this money?' when we would ask for someone caught in limbo to be given an advance.

Honest truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

It makes my blood boil to read of your troubles but its nothing new as far as certain ETBs are concerned.....and to make matters worse do you honestly think the lackys sitting on your interview board are still waiting for their 'wages'! Not a hope.Unfortunately there are a number of ETBs that are notorious for delays like this.I had a colleague who was doing a few hours in a school and had to wait 12 weeks for any sort of pay....and this was after filling in and returning forms on countless ocassions because HQ had mislaid the initial forms.This type of stuff has gone on for years and will continue.Getting the Union involved will not really deliver things any quicker but it will let your employer know that you are not sitting idly by waiting.Realistically ETBs do not give a hoot,if you are a member of their Golden Circle you will not have any such worries.(How do you become a member: Scratch backs,lick ar*e,have 35 yrs service and 'retire',rejoin the interview panel the Monday immediately after you retire and wait for the funds to start rolling in,thats you sorted for the next 35 years so you qualify for 2 pensions!!).

Best of luck in your battle but its a case of waiting and hoping...and keep sending emails to your Union and the ETB in question....just annoy them.

Thanks everyone, I still haven't been paid. Ive been in touch with the payroll department and was sent an email saying I wasn't properly registered so there for won't get paid! This is all lies and they know it is, I gave them my registration certificate which says im fully registered but they wouldn't accept it, they were making up their own rules and deciding not to pay me based on them. Ive been working in schools for 4 years without any complaints about my registration, work or qualifications. I contacted the teaching council who were so helpful and totally shocked by this, they sent me an email confirming that I am a fully qualified and registered teacher, I forwarded this onto payroll and management & included my registration and Garda vetting in the email but none of them have replied to me. So, ive had no confirmation on whether or not im going to be back paid. The next step will be getting a solicitors letter but I really don't want to have to go down that road.

Absolutely go the solicitor route.

Effectively they are wrongly accusing you of fraud trying to claim while not registered. That is causing you distress. Take them to the cleaners or at least give someone a change of underwear moment.

We put up with too much sh1te in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 itrip

I can't believe anyone anywhere in any job could be treated with such disrespect....I would suggest you drive up to your ETB with all your paperwork and request that they tell you exactly what the problem is...how could you be employed by them in first place if you weren't properly registered....I'd also contact Work Relations Commission.... am also surprised your school principal hasn't sorted this....others might disagree with me on this, but I think union should also be all over this, if only to prove to you the benefit of joining...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

So sorry for your troubles but I told you so!

ETBs,the majority of them should be disbanded with immediate effect.Do you honestly think the Old Cronies that interviewed you for the job in the first instance are still awaiting their "pay"?

This carry on has been going on for years and no one gives a Flying Fcuk,unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

This would be foid and drink for a Union Official, but if you're not a member I'd be getting my local TD involved along with a solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭2 fast

Unfortunately it's because payroll is now centralised and hamdle by esbs which has made it worse and a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

To be honest I don't think that's the biggest problem. ESBS will process whatever they are told to process. It's the ETB that are dragging their arse here. There's no reason that they shouldn't have this paperwork done - especially given that the payroll end of things has now been farmed out to ESBS. ETB just have to get OP's hours on the payroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Solicitors letter. Before the end of the week.

Have to spoken to the principal yet?

You need to go beyond emailing payroll at this stage. At the very least, you need to present yourself in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Really hope you get sorted, sadly for the most part people only care about themselves and sometimes people are overworked and slow to get back to you but none of these things are your problem, sadly in this country we have to fight to get the respect we are due. You didn't start this, they are the ones who should be feeling absolutely mortified, so you do what you need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Yes unfortunately this is the only way I've seen movement in payroll when they just couldn't be arsed paying you what you've worked for.

Maybe flac could do it for you if you haven't the means. Or any relatives who work in the legal profession. Even a legal secretary could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ooh1985

What happened in the end?

Post edited by LunaIsMyUsername on

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies, its been an absolute nightmare, ive made a post about my whole experience in a separate thread, I feel like im done with teaching now after everything that has happened.

I have merged your two threads as people may not realise your new thread had an update about the old problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

I think it MUST be the case at this stage in so many areas ,SUSI,Medical cards, salaries etc etc that this sort of thing is unwritten policy rather than a few 'incompetent' people .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

What happened ?I cant see.

Advertisement