Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCR mentioned the Queen & got booed at Irish gig

Options
  • 28-05-2022 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,952 ✭✭✭✭

My Chemical Romance mentioned that he'd carry on the same way with the same songs even if he was playing in front of the Queen of England. The crowd started booing. They weren't booed off stage or anything like that but jasus he only mentions her.

I consider myself a peaceful Nationalist. I'm proud to say that my grandad was in the IRA & fought for our independence. He's dead 40 years and the war was 100 years ago.

When are we going to get over ourselves. It's getting beyond embarrassing. We are no longer ruled by the Queen or the UK.

Am I alone in thinking this way?

https://entertainment.ie/music/my-chemical-romance-dublin-gig-queen-of-england-525954/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Boooooo

Im a Brit living here. In experience the younger generation are fairly anti Brit which is just bizarre, those who lived through the troubles and the like seem fairly indifferent, strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Years ago I saw Iron Maiden play at the Point. During “The Trooper”, Bruce Dickenson took out a Union Flag and waved it at the crowd, a la the song’s record cover. Crowd immediately started booing, the whole atmosphere turned quite nasty.

Later on, someone threw a Tricolour up on the stage and he picked it up and waved it. Crowd went nuts with appreciation. All was forgiven.

Saw Badly Drawn Boy in the Olympia too. Before his song “Born in the UK”, he felt the need to explain that he was British, and he was going to sing this song, and it wasn’t intended as an insult to anyone. Clearly he’d got a negative reaction to it at previous Irish gigs.

It fairly pathetic the reaction some people have to mere mentions of our nearest neighbour, with whom we have such strong cultural, economic and political ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

There are many Brits who have become anti monarchy...FA Cup Final, members of royal family were booed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Unfortunately all too common with a certain type of degenerate here who brings up their spawn to mindlessly hate the English (in particular). Neither the kids, nor their parents, have any idea why and certainly can't explain it- it's just the done thing with folk of limited intelligence who are quite happy for hatred to continue down the generations.

In terms of the gig, it's a shame and it's childish and embarrassing, but I think it's a case of 'know your audience.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's so weird how to some people the North just doesn't exist, like some sort of cognitive dissonance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Teh average age of people at MCR gig would be early 20’s, none of them have a clue what the troubles was like

Ask them for a explanation and they have some half assed version they seemed to have read from a SF supporter online

They same clowns will be going around celebrating Man City beating Liverpool for Premier League.

The whole lot of them are an embarrassment to themselves but more important to their parents who are too stupid to teach them the actual facts of what went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would boo the royal family in solidarity with my English republican friends. Who all of my English friends were.

My question is when will Irish people who think we need to get over ourselves ever get over themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,952 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fella I knew in a local pub was forever going on about Brits this & Brits that, to whoever was foolish enough to listen. Someone would eventually say show us your chest. He has Leeds tattooed over where he thinks his heart should be 😂

Same guy on welfare all his life. Two sets of kids so two families we have all paid to raise. Moans about the government yet he has never voted. Was one of the most homophobic people you could meet. Three of his six adult children are gay so at least he's no longer homophobic. He has seen the light as far as that is concerned. I think it's this type of individual who is doing the booing at the football matches. Can you imagine flying to the UK & cheering Leeds & booing the UK national anthem at international matches 😅😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 23 eltoorock

Am I alone in thinking why are they so popular?

• Advertisement

very much a northern thing for those who feel they were left behind, with fair reason too!

I’m from London, you wouldn’t see that here, that said most people are just indifferent, not mad cheering Royalists, I think that’s dying out with my mums/nans generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The younger generation seem to have been exposed to an awful lot of “casual sectarianism” through people like Blind Boy Boat Club, comedian Darren Conway and through online groups, such as the Irish Simpsons Fan page on Facebook.

It’s been silently stoking up a lot of anti-English sentiment, which brexit hasn’t helped, and glossed over atrocities committed by the IRA, in all its various guises, and minimising the “links” between them and Sinn Fein.

More than a little concerning.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Varadkar and Coveney have fanned the flames too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Queen of England?

Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith - you call her by her proper title, a little bollix!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Not having a clue doesn't stop you Angel from defending the government in various threads 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Who the **** goes to My Chemical Romance gigs?

Emos in their 30s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I was saying Boo-bies :)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭NiceFella

I wouldn't read too much into that to be honest. Im not surprised it's an article in entrainment.ie. Gigs are emotionally charged events and the booing at this gig would more than likely just be a pantomime-esc style response. Nothing serious to be worried about.

I actually quite like the queen(a very dignified person) but that doesn't stop me having a small dig in good humor at my English friends about all things English.

The only time this stuff is awkward is when English people (and Irish people) have no understanding of the colonial history between our nations. I think it is kinda **** for Irish people to randomly bring it up though. That isn't fair.

There probably does need to be more time spent on progress made between brittish/ Irish relations in history class too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Emo thugs. I’ll say no more, anyone in know a notorious hooligan element always an air of menace. Trouble just seems to follow them around on the other hand Slane ‘86? Nigh on 100,000 unified; in their throngs with chants of “QUEEN! QUEEN! QUEEN!” voracious support.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Technically you aren't an "Irish nationalist" if you are just supportive of a portion of the island being independent. That isn't what Irish nationalism was ever about from its origins. I actually think it was pretty sick for that state to even call itself Ireland, it was like spitting on the graves of the people from Ulster who died.

I don't care about the queen but I don't get worked up over her, I just ignore the jubilee. I don't have a problem with people who do hate the royal family, just last week Prince Charles was praising the RUC, the police force who colluded with the UVF. The Queen also gave some award to the leader of the army who was in control during the bloody Sunday massacre in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was at Forever Young festival in 2019. It was very chilled out all weekend, except...

The MC, "The Doctor" (of Doctor And The Medics) mentioned that he thought Ireland was one of the best places to play a gig in the British Isles, cue massive boooos!

He apologised after the next act.

I don't think Brits will ever get that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement