Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV query

Options
  • 26-05-2022 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for the query but here goes.

I've been looking at a few TVs online (thinking of buying) and Im stumped on one aspect of the descriptions. Smart TVs are listed as having a "web OS" or Android. Is there much of a difference and what would be the best to go for?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

"Is WebOS better than Android TV?"

While Android TV offers a lot more in terms of apps, webOS TVs are also pretty good for someone who doesn't care about using too many apps or playing Android games on their smart TVs. That said, you should first consider their hardware specifications and prices rather than just the software.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

I think webOS is the name of the operating system LG use on their TV's. That means you are restricted to the apps they allow. Android TV would offer greater app options.

Having said that I have a couple of LG TV's and find them great. All the main apps are there, Netflix, Disney+, Prime, RTÉ player etc

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for the replies guys. So Android would be the better option which is something I'll watch out for.

@BronsonTB when you say "hardware spec" what exactly should I look out for in this regard?

Im aware of things like having a couple of HDMI and USB slots etc but Im sure there are probably more important things than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

It would be more down to what you want to use the TV for. For example not all USB connections are the same or not all HDMI connections are the same.

A Playstation 5 utilities a 2.1 HDMI connection for example. (Not available on all TV's)

Not all TV's have a wifi connection or wired network card.

These would be hardware things to look for if important to your requirements.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Just my 2 cent worth. I have a LG TV running WebOS (DTT and Sat) and I find it far superior to our work based Sony Bravia Pros running Android 8. The Sonys seems to be rarely updated and is still running Android 8 on a Pro TV from 2019.... My LG is from 2018 and regularly gets WebOS updates. I find the WebOS just better, faster and easier to navigate than the clunky Android 8 on the Sony. On my LG you can set the country for the OS to be the UK (so you get a greater app selection - the app store for Ireland is poor) but can also set also the locale to UK manually, so I can have Freesat EPG and also Saorview listed.

We tried sideloading a few things on the Sony's and it didn't work, so there's no benefit that I saw having Android on them. In fact they seemed to me to be buggy compared to WedOS to be honest. The Sony's just reminded me of my cheap Chinese Android TV box which has been skinned with a bad Android image where some things on it just don't work...

I have heard that the newer Android based TVs are better but based on my experiences, I'd buy another LG.

• Advertisement
Advertisement