Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M.2 / SATA SSD Question

• 26-05-2022 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,548 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I recently got an Inspiron 15 3515, it has a 256GB M.2 SSD which is nice and fast but not big enough for my needs.

I also have a new 2.5" SATA 1TB SSD, was intended to fix my old laptop with it but the motherboard was buggered as well as the disk.

So - questions are:

(a) The 3515 has an unused internal 2.5" HDD bay with SATA cable, can I put my 1TB SATA SSD in here and use it at the same time as the existing M.2 SSD? I expect the answer to this is Yes

(b) If I do the above, will the slower SATA SSD affect the performance of the M.2 SSD? I expect the answer is No and they're on totally separate busses, but I want to know for sure

Plan is to keep my OSes on the M.2 and use the SATA drive for video, etc. storage. I never had a machine with an M.2 slot before so apologies if these questions are a bit thick

Also...

(c) Dell say it takes 8 or 16GB RAM per slot but don't list 16+16 as a supported configuration, Crucial offer a 16+16 kit for this machine, so who's right? 16GB (8x2 out of my old laptop) is grand for now but I've still run out of space sometimes with 16GB, and the new machine uses about 2.3GB of system RAM for graphics which is a good bit more than the old.

Thanks!

Scrap the cap!

Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement