Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating a converted garage floor

Options
  • 26-05-2022 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi. We have a semi-d with a converted garage, which is very cold in the winter. On the original concrete garage floor, there's just timber battons with floor boards laid over. We're thinking of ripping out all the timber and laying 50mm insulation board, tightly laid so theres no movement (might be able to extend it to 75mm). My query though, is what to do next. I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether I need to pour concrete or not. Some builders providers are saying I'd need to pour concrete over the insulation. Others are saying I can just put plywood straightdown on the insulation board, and then I'm ready to lay my laminate.

Just looking for opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Everyone loves concrete in Ireland but if you don't have room for concrete you don't have room. The only issue that might occur is the joints between the plywood (or OSB?) boards may move slightly which can make cheap laminate flex and eventually fail prematurely. I'd consider two layers of plywood (possibly 9mm?) with the joints staggered. But thats just my opinion.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,048 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

https://www.kingspan.com/gb/en-gb/products/insulation-boards/insulation-technical-hub/articles-and-advice/why-and-how-to-construct-a-floating-floor

Advertisement