Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sardinia

Options
  • 26-05-2022 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Anyone been to Sardinia, flying into Alghero and renting a car, where is a good spot to go? Nice beach, bars and restaurants will do nicely

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Probably the most beautiful place I've ever been. You'll be spoilt for beaches all over the island. Depending on how long you've got and when you're travelling, I'd spend a few days in Alghero along Maria Pia beach . I'd drive to Oristano then on to Cagliari then back up the eastern coast towards Olbia.

A nice day trip would be to take the ferry from Santa Teresa to Bonifacio in Corsica.

Sardinia itself is lovely, fab beaches, friendly people and low cost of living outside the very touristy areas - I'd avoid in August though.

Can get very hot in mid summer - 35/40c but a dry heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Are the beaches within walking distance of Alghero town decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭dublin49

We stayed in Alghero some years ago,there is a smell of seaweed along the coast in Alghero that bothers some,at least there was when we were there ,the old town of Alghero is lovely and worth staying in or close by.There is a nice beach right at the town but the spectacular ones are further afield.I remember one in particular ,Pelosi beach ,incredible ,was packed when we were there in Sept so might not be realistic to visit in high season . Would be interested in further recommendations about the rest of the island as was sorry we didn't split our time there ,North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

smell of seaweed would be weather / tide related.

Some amazing beaches on the south coast, not as rocky, particularly Poetta, Calamosca and Porto Guinca (my favourite)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Is Arrutas on the west coast, north of Oristano is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

went there on honeymoon a few years back , beautiful place.... beaches around alghero are fine, the old town itself is lovely.

I highly recommend stintino ... i think its less than an hour from alghero and absolutely fab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTmHfE1eKOk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Fabulous place to visit - especially Alghero. Was there in summer 2019 at end of June beginning of July. Spent first week in Algehro - a beautiful old walled city with magnificent restaurants and the beaches close by are superb. The one in the town did have a nasty smell - was told it was the sea anemones washed up and dying.

Spent the second week in the south in Cagliari which was fine but way preferred the north west. Had a car which made moving around very easy.

Going back this summer just to Alghero without a car but there is a beach bus that services the beaches around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Hi , please do not construe this as a loaded question but has the current migrant crisis had a destabilising effect on Sardinia ? , I’ve two young kids and while we really want to visit Sardinia , it’s a relaxed family break we want so prefer not to have to negotiate issues at train stations etc , we also want to hire a car and venture out into the interior of the island

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

you're entitled to ask, we're ouff to south Italy this year and ive been keeping an eye myself on the migrant situation, as italy are having a lot of issues and trying to deal with it. News sites can be handy https://www.thelocal.it/tag/sardinia

Sardinia is a good spot, we've stayed in Alghero, not sure id go back....food was great, nightlife was mellow etc, but didnt wow me for some reason.

Sicily is a great. but busy if staying in Taormina - but its not a deal breaker. some great beaches outside of the town are fab - buses are frquent and cheap, way more to vist and see if you hire a car, id be going there if i were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Thanks for the reply, we’ve decided to go to Montenenegro instead , much cheaper and Kotor is meant to be fantastic , fly into Dubrovnik in Croatia and an hours drive by car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

funny, Montenegro on our list, will get there at some stage. Enjoy it! always good to have transport, you can go see stuff you wouldnt have otherwise.

Advertisement