Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you like to read?

• 25-05-2022 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Im always lost in a book or article! What do other people like to read in their free time? Id love some book series or active blogs to get into, no matter the subject!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

I like to read classic French novels - by Balzac, Proust, Celine, Voltaire etc. (in English translation)

Don't know if this is what you'd enjoy yourself but the insight and observation into human nature is unequalled anywhere else imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I'd like to read that Putin has had a hot poker put up his arse, and then been stoned to death.

But I haven't read it yet as it's not been published.

On a serious note: National Geographic, Astronomy Now and Private Eye magazines. Great topical, informative reads and wouldn't be without them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

History. I devour history books. Also enjoy a bit of current affairs.

I get The Economist every week which is great for world affairs.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

World War 2 History

Cold War Spy Fiction e.g. John Le carre, Robert Littell

World War 2 era Fiction e.g. Alan Furst, Philip Kerr, Sam Eastland

Some Nordic Noir

Post edited by sam t smith on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

The BBC History magazine is very good, also National Geographic. I read a lot of history/war books. I like Orlando Figges, Anthony Beevor, Max Hastings. I read two books by Orlando Figges which were very good, “The Peoples Tragedy” about Russia from about 1870 to 1924, and a book about the Crimean War in the 1840’s called “Crimea”. Robert Fisk, Christopher Hitchens, I could be here forever. Basically I advise taking an interest in everything. For example, I did not know much about Yemen or Afghanistan, so I’ve read books about those countries. The Atlantic magazine website is very good and thought-provoking. Your local library can get you most of these books. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Books, mostly.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I read pretty much everything, but I've never really been mad into SF or Fantasy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Figes had a weird scandal where it turned out he was having his wife leave negative reviews of other authors' work. Mad thing is he won the Orwell prize. He's about as high calibre a historian as it is possible to be.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

For recreation, it's mostly thrillers and detective stories; can't beat a classic whodunnit.

I like the ones that are funny or clever, don't like long tedious courtroom scenes.

At other times - non-fiction books about wildlife, anthropology, self-improvement, travel, biography, religion.

I have thousands of books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

I generally enjoy reading 3 books at once. There's always a history book, a self help sort of book, and I leave my favourite until last and that's a fiction book whose characters are loosely aligned with my own life. So maybe a dad with a young family or someone into sports or something like that. Stephen King would prob be my favourite writer.

I read three because I find it difficult to sit and read about one single thing for more than 30 minutes. I read more when I can switch it up a bit.

I also have a subscription to the BBC history magazine which is great to pick up while the kettle is boiling. Plenty of mini articles with fascinating pieces from all corners of history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Crime fiction like Michael Connelly’s Bosch series or James Ellroy and historical fiction, especially Bernard Cornwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Caitlin555

I really like to read things about true crime and unsolved cases. I also read business blogs on the Invoice24 blog website as I like to learn a lot of things from them, it's very interesting.

Post edited by Caitlin555 on

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

War and prono

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

These days I prefer non fiction over fiction. What's more interesting than real life? I read a lot of travel books, history books and some biographies.

I love crime fiction so lots of detective style books from the gritty and dark to the cosy and ridiculous. I also love books that explore various themes of life, that tell a story about something that happened to the character/s and the fallout from it. How one single event can change us forever, be it a loss or a find. Some of my favourite books ever are like that.....On Green Dolphin Street, Chesil Beach, Love in The Time of Cholera, The Loney... ..that kind of thing.

It's been an age though since I read anything like that and I think that's because they are all a bit too close to reality at times and these days I want books to be a comfort blanket so Elizabeth McGregor it is. Well with the exception of a lovely book by Michael Harding. He's great.

Outside of fiction I read blogs like Medium, The Marginalian, culture type sites when I have free articles left, film reviews, and I have a sub for the Irish Times 😳 I tend to get something in my head that I want to read about so I go exploring the internet for all and every piece of information. My latest thing is the Grimaldi family of Monaco. Even had a dream about them...weird.

Advertisement