Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting insured first time

Options
  • 25-05-2022 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭

Hi all, 34 year old first time insurance with full license, does anyone have any advice for what to go for? At this point it seems like 1ltr, 10 years old or less car is the go to, but because these seem like such necessary qualities they seem scarce or overpriced. I've been getting regular quotes around 3 grand for most small cars older than 10 years, with any car within the 10 year range being priced up by a couple of grand because the insurance is cheaper.

Does anyone know any insurance companies that are the best to go with or is it just a matter of trying everyone? I'm currently looking at at 2011 Golf 1.6 but would really need to try shave the insurance down to go for it, best price so far is 2800. One thing I was considering was ringing some banks for quotes, and as I'm going to be moving from Ulster Bank try and get a few hundred off my quote by becoming a customer with the bank, but it might be a bit far fetched. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can either ring every provider, or ring a decent broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 no_ismyfavoriteword

I'm with Chill, they seem to be the cheapest, and the customer support when ringing them is better than anybody else.

You should fill in your details on their website and then go on DoneDeal and get the registration numbers of different models and try them, make a spreadsheet maybe? From what I've seen, Golfs from that era seem to be pricey to insure as an awful lot of boy racers have them. Try something like a Ford Fiesta etc, these seem to be cheap enough to buy and insure and are reliable.

Some cars are just cheaper to insure and vice versa because they're more accident-prone. I know another young person who got quoted for a learner permit (he's 17) and the quote was 3100 to be added as a named driver on a 2007 BMW 318d he was going to buy, but then was quoted 940 euros to be added to his father's 2017 Audi A6 (up from 550 without him on it). It's all about what's crashed more often so you'll have to search through different models than just a golf.

Pick out a bunch of cars you wouldn't mind being in and put the reg into Chill etc. Don't assume it has to be a 1litre, when I started (29 I think I was) I was getting quotes of over €4k for Fiat Pandas. Ended up in a 1.8 Focus for a good bit under €2k. It's a complete crapshoot. Even the trim level on the car can have a huge impact and there's no point asking the people on the phone why a bit of stitching on a seat can double a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

You mention you need to get a 1.0L car for cheap insurance and then say you want to get a 1.6L?

Ideally you want a boring small car, with relatively low value as the chance of being in a crash when a novice is quite high.

Before you buy anything get a firm quote based on the car registration you might buy, not just a quick quote. Shop around, ring brokers and non brokers, online and phone. Ask them what car you should buy. A 1.0L Yaris or similar less than 10 years old would be a good start. You can get a better can once you have some no claims bonus. Some insurers give discounts for trackers, limited mileage. Also consider adding another named driver even if they never set foot in the car as it can give a reduction in premium. A good broker can assist over the phone.

Advertisement