Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rental car deposit - Italy

Options
  • 25-05-2022 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a rough idea what a deposit amount would be a for a rental car? This is in Italy and is a medium sized car. I can't seem to find any details on website. Can I pay with a debit card or does it have to be a credit card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Tow

Normally these places only take a credit card.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thanks I kind of guessed so.

Do you have any idea how much deposit might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you don't take their insurance, it's usually about €1,200 excess, for which they will either block on a credit card, or look for a cash deposit.

If I take their insurance will it be zero?

Will that still work if I get insurance elsewhere beforehand?

Thanks so much for responding

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

I have no idea to be honest.

I would imagine they would still look for a security deposit, but as to how much, I have no idea.

Can you contact the hire company directly and ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If you take their insurance the deposit will be 0, if you get excess insurance elsewhere then the rental company still block your card. If you have a claim then they take your money and you claim back from your excess insurance. Last time i claimed it took 5 months to get my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭combat14

rental cars such a scam these days - holidays supposed to be fun not this much stress ... i'm sure there are plenty buses/trains italy and still see loads without all the rental expense, scams and headache these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭zg3409

The card needs to be in the name of the main driver. It probably needs to be a credit card. Note if you have made any purchases in the past month your credit limit may be lower than the cost if deposit + cost of hire. You should try pay off all credit card debt before you go and this can take a day or two by bank.

In past 2 weeks I paid 900 euro deposit on car hire in Itaky + 300 hire cost at time of collection. They also wanted to send an sms to my mobile phone and for me to electronically sign agreement. My phone did not roam to Italy for first 3 hours so I could not get sms. It was a total mess collecting the car then on return they billed me for damage that was already on the car. Photo every part of car including wheels, get staff to come out with you while you inspect car and mark the sheet.

One trick on getting your phone to work abroad is to select 3G only, not LTE as it may not work if auto or LTE is selected.

I recommend bringing multiple credit and debit cards and cash as car hire can remove thousands from credit limit. You can put cash positive on credit card, but that positive amount is not insured for fraud.

Normally I would but we are going to lake Garda public transport isn't amazing.

Not used to the stress more of a city break person tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Be aware that unless you're going with one of the big name companies the excess could be €2.5k. If they accept a debit card then excess is blocked so you'll be down at least €1k until they release it, with a credit card you can still access money as the block works differently.

Pictures of the car or even better video the car on collection and return. Make sure to get the top of the roof, windows and all the wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s exactly how I feel. Did it a few times but now wouldn’t dream of hiring a car on holidays. Supposing the bus or train takes twice as long I couldn’t be arsed with the expense, stress and worry of all that can wrong.

Especially in a country like Italy where the traffic and driving is mental and risk of damage or scratches is very high in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Try Centauro car hire, they do a few different levels of insurance cover, I think one of them has 0 excess, they also take debit cards. Take a close up video of the car, before and after rental and make sure the staff see you doing it. Hertz also take debit cards in most countries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭zg3409

My available credit card funds went to zero after a 900 deposit recently.

Note many venues such as lake Garda camping places offer transfers to and from Airport. They can be more expensive than getting local taxi but they do offer them. I am not sure on prices

Private companies also have specific websites like

We opted for hire car in the end, but yes driving in Italy is a bit crazy, and risk of damage is high.

Advertisement