Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospitals Galway - Which one is the best?

Options
  • 24-05-2022 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hiya,

I'm not from Galway originally. Would love to know what people think about the Galway hospitals? I have one experience of being in UHG A&E with my husband a few years back, which was not at all pleasant.

If you or your child were ill or they had a suspected broken leg / arm etc and you had a choice which hospital would you go to?

Many Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Neither, I'd first visit the VHI or LAYA clinics to get an X-Ray to confirm it's broke rather than wait 7 or 8 hours in either of those hospitals to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

Don't think you can select hospital really depends on what you need.

Think only UCHG has A&E if leg is broken then have follow up appointments at clinic in Merlin Park.

Galway clinic A& E does not see children with broken bones could be dependent on age but do recall having 4yo needed X ray few years ago UCHG only option.

When GP refers to a consultant they usually give options you can pick which one they work out of different hospitals/rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If you have insurance I'd go to the Bon or the Clinic. If it's the weekend and you can't get to your GP then the Bon was the best when you're stuck. I'm trying to remember, it was probably 20 quid more than your standard GP visit. Generally drive-in and seen to straight away which was great when it was something for the kids that couldn't wait until Monday but there was no point waiting for 12 hours in emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not at all sure choice is an option when it comes to choosing a hospital re emergency care, obviously if OP has insurance, possibly private clinics but ultimately if it's a broken Limb patient will ultimately end up at the nearest hospital that has an Orthopedic Service.

I'm in an odd situation being on the Border of two Counties. Technically I'm supposed to go to Portlaoise 34km but I go to Tullamore 19km and have on 2 occasions been brought by ambulance to Tullamore.

I've also two distinct long term conditions, one is manged by Tullamore, one Portlaoise. Obviously nether towns has two hospitals.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 california dreaming

Oh that's super, I did not realise you could do that in the Bons, I thought it was just Consultants type of place. Thanks so much, that is great to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I just re-read what I said and I should clarify, "Generally drive-in and seen to straight away which was great when it was something for the kids that couldn't wait...."

More like, "After calling and scheduling an appointment, we just drove in at the appointed time and were generally seen to quickly." 😉

Hope you won't need it, but glad to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,684 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can't.

One of the after hours GP services (CityDoc) is based there. If your GP is with that service then you phone the service and may get an appointment there.

Other than that, its for scheduled consultant appointments and surgeries.

Galway Clinic has a private A&E. During the worst of covid, you could only get there with a GP referral. Don't know if that's been relaxed yet.

Laya have a minor injuries clinic in Briarhill, which does suspected broken bones / xrays.

Don't know if either do kids though - suspect not.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Recently took a child to the Laya clinic for a more minor break and it was great. Didn’t cost a penny for us because we have Laya health insurance but it depends on your coverage and the cost of the specific service. Have taken kids to A&E several times for various injuries and it was always very good. BUT kids are seen at the paediatric a&e which is much quicker. Costs €100 if you go straight there (unless you have a medical card) or free with GP referral (which also costs). If it was for myself and wasn’t an ob/gyn issue (then you see the ob/gyn on call not the regular a&e docs do not as slow) I would try to avoid a&e. Would probably do the Laya clinic again but I don’t think it’s 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Seriously considering switching to Laya just for the clinic. I am happy enough with VHI but would love a clinic to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

Laya clinic is available to both members and non-member

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

I would rather go to uhg than ballinsloe

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Schweizer

Depends what your or your child's ailment is! For not so serious issues, colds, flu's other less serious conditions then something like the Laya clinic, Galway clinic A&E or a primary care center could be the best bet.

For more serious illnesses or surgeries you should consider something before making assumptions about private vs public. Sure you get seen faster and quicker in the private hospitals but in private hospitals usually consultants do not have Reg's, SHO's or junior doctors helping them. No question about the speed in the private hospitals but I would question the quality of care\surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Looks like the Bons do have an A&E- like service but it comes at a very hefty price so you would not be going with a cold or flu, although there's quite an exclusionary list of ailments that you can attend with!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I don't think I'd attend any A&E type service for a cold flu style situation, much better to call you GP and take on advice on whether your child needs to be seen there. The private A&Es will be very expensive and will end up terribly plugged up if we use them as a primary care - and in that situation we all suffer should we need actual urgent care.

There are some GP services that operate on a walk in clinic style service around Galway for anyone wanting to attend with minor but urgent ailments. One is across from the hospital called Doctor365 and there is one on the other side of the city that offers a comprehensive diagnostic service inc ultrasound etc. I would love to know if anyone has been actually and if they found it good.

This is it https://www.galwaydoc.com/?fbclid=IwAR3_GEBJ5SfpF9-RHFDVJFAGhdOXrPbLjWVSG1XVpVHKxygd_6a_Rn3RG1Q

Their Fb lists an impressive array of services and consult is 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,684 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr OBumble used Dr365 twice.

It's cost-effective and available with no wait. Close to the hospital if they decide to send you in.

Dr's are effectively locums covering shifts. If they order tests, the results will be reviewed by whoever is on shift when the results come back. You are unlikely to see the same Dr twice. Understanding of local culture may be limited.

But sometimes a locum offers a fresh set of eyes, and can see things which a regular Dr who (thinks they) know you can miss.

Advertisement