Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting American cousins insured fully comp for 2 weeks on my 7 seater

Options
  • 23-05-2022 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if this is possible with the price of car rental at the moment. I'm wondering if its possible to get my American cousins insured on my 7 seater 2017 Alhambra its automatic so they shouldnt have issues driving it.

If possible could I get them insured fully comp with a low excess just incase?

Car is currently insured with 123 would I best calling them and asking or would the cousins be better taking out insurance themsleves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

They won't be able to take out a policy on your vehicle. The only option is to get them added as a driver on your policy. Remember, any accident while driving on your policy, becomes your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Ring for a quote. I'd say it might be just as well to let them hire a car. They'll be loaded because of their licence, driving experience here, and then your no claims discount will be obliterated if they've the slightest tip in your car.

They can't insure themselves in your car as sole drivers as they are not owners of the car as far as I know.

I'd be curious to hear what your insurance company says though and happy to be proved incorrect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I rang 123 today and they said I can add them to our insurance policy for a month and they would be full comp as well. To rent a 7 seater in Ireland for the time period involved is 10,000 euros which is insane money. I just couldnt let them pay that. We let them know this morning the option is there if they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I've done this in the past too with nothing other than an admin fee. It's true that there is a risk re claims etc but was happy to do it (even though they'd previously had a tip in an Irish rental it wasn't their fault).

Advertisement