Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a build for my son

Options
  • 23-05-2022 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭

I have only started looking at this today so I could be missing better options but atm I have this put together.

Monitor Keyboard and mouse I've no idea yet especially the monitor. Basically he will mainly be playing Minecraft Roblox Fortnite etc but he will play other games as well I'm sure. He wants to start making Youtube videos at some stage as well. I have picked the Wi-Fi motherboard as that's the only connection he will be able to access for now.

There's a budget of about 800 but I can work on it if I have to just not over by to much!

Any advice on the monitor? or on changes i could make to parts ive already picked that would work better? Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4cd74s

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€201.83 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer A13 X CPU Cooler (€20.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) (optional!)

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€102.08)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€65.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€89.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB Speedster QICK 210 Video Card (€179.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: BitFenix Nova Mesh SE ATX Mid Tower Case (€65.73 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: NZXT C 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€86.85 @ Computeruniverse)

Total: €813.18

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-23 15:40 CEST+0200

Wouldn't bother buying from Paradigit - buy from Germany and you can afford a proper GPU.

Monitor-wise, you can get decent 1080p 144Hz screens for 165-180eur now. Or chat to Dell and see if they will bring the S2422HG or G2422HS below 200eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thanks for the reply. All the parts I have mentioned in the original email I can get them all on Amazon Uk via Prime. The only thing i was looking at from Paradigit was the motherboard. I didnt bother with adding a GPU because the APU i added seems to have very good performance for most games on 1080p at the level he would be playing at.

The 6500 XT would be more than twice as fast & would allow him to play with higher settings.

In addition, 5600G is a Zen 2 part while the 5600 (without iGPU) is on the newer Zen 3 architecture.

I see what your saying but adding in the price of the monitor keyboard mouse etc then would be way over the money he has and what I'm willing to add. Be getting into 1000 at that stage. I don't mind upgrading the GPU or whatever down the line but I don't think he's gonna benefit from a dedicated card atm with what he will be mostly playing. The main thing I'm trying to figure out is a decent monitor under 200 that I can get in Ireland or delivered from EU. Is there much difference in the motherboard and the SSD you switched in instead of the original ones?

Ah, I see now, thought 800 was the budget for just the tower.

Motherboard: I only noticed after but the Amazon DE listing is for the motherboard you selected (B550M PRO-VDH) just mislabelled 😑

The SSD is a 1Tb model but DRAM-less. You'd be hard-pressed to notice in daily operations, but having twice the storage is a big deal!

Case-wise I would recommend considering the Tecware Forge M which is a clone of Fractal Meshify C mini. Motherboard is restricted to micro-ATX but it comes with 4x 120mm fans preinstalled for only 55euro.

• Advertisement

I have a look at them later cheers! Any ideas with the monitor ? I haven't had to buy a pc monitor in a long long time been using tvs so I'm out of the loop ha. Anything around 150 to 180 mark be nice if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jon Doe

The 5600G should be enough for Minecraft @1080. You can always add a dGPU at a later date. You don't need 650W for the build you specified. The greatest power drain on that machine is the CPU and it takes 65W, so 650W is overkill. Any of these will be more than enough for your needs:

geizhals.eu/?cat=gehps&xf=1248_550~360_400&asuch=&bpmin=40&bpmax=60&v=e&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=p&bl1_id=30

Regarding the monitor, I'm not very picky but here's a small list to get you started:

geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&bpmin=150&bpmax=200&v=e&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu&sort=p&bl1_id=30&xf=11939_27%7E11955_IPS%7E14591_25601440

This looks especially nice:

geizhals.eu/lenovo-c32q-20-65f8gac1eu-a2195742.html

2560x1440 is more than enough to accommodate your 1920x1080 gaming and will give you a very nice deskop/cinema screen :)

That's brilliant thank you ill check these links out later after work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Domdabomb

I would just advise to not skimp on psu, u can get good 650w for around 60-70. Also that extra money on build would make big difference in performance and if ur budget is rock solid i would suggest a console these days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Xbox Series x will outperform any 600eur pc. Unless your son is playing something which is pc exclusive (basically nothing) then I would stick with that. You can even use a mouse and keyboard if you're picky about that sort of thing.

Making YouTube videos for Minecraft... I dunno. I never understood that in the first place but I'd ask him if he knows that the chances are his videos will get 15 views until the end of time.

• Advertisement

Regarding consoles my only advice is: beware of vendor lockin... :O

• Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not just vendor but function lock. Consoles are optimal to do one thing only and that's play games explicitly licensed and optimized to run on that exact hardware. And Minecraft isn't a console exclusive. If the purpose was just for Minecraft: why even an Xbox, just a Switch would do, I've binged for many hours happily on Minecraft for Switch. But this is after all about building a PC, which in addition to running some sweet games, is a fine hobby for a parent to share with their child, much more engaging, thoughtful and sentimental than just buying another mass-produced gamebox off the shelf, any dad can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Minecraft is avaidable on Sony, Xbox switch and pc , its on every console. Pcs need to be updated to be secure eg windows os update, and they need to have an antivirus security program installed. Xbox x has a twitch streaming app. Eg you don't need a pc to stream Minecraft to twitch, most people watch gamers streams on twitch or YouTube

No everyone has the skills or the tech setup to be able to play games and talk at the same time it's like being a radio dj or TV presenter the average person cannot talk about games or Minecraft for hours in a way that is entertaining for viewers it takes skill talent and energy to do this

On the Youtube thing he watch's loads of gaming stuff on YouTube so id say he would just have a bit of fun with it if he ever got into it. He has a Switch I have a Series x and a PS5 so I'm not buying anymore consoles for the moment.

He plays all kinds of games really but he's mad into the Roblox Minecraft etc kinda stuff he also loves playing Indie games and if I let him I'm sure he would be playing Doom and Resident evil as well ha. I like the idea of him getting into the PC side of things its always good to know and learn at a young age.

850 euro is what I end up spending on the whole package so for now its plenty for a first pc for a kid. Down the line ill see how he gets on with it and if he wants to update parts ill do it then. God knows I've updated my own enough times over the years once you get a base its grand.

Most of the parts have already came so he's dying to get it all together now and try it out ha.

Fair play to you... :D Two questions: "how old is the kid?" and "you do know that AMD is about to transition to socket AM5?" In all likelihood AM5 CPUs will not be drop-in replacements for AM4 boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Am5 is 100% incompatible with Am4, the pins are in the socket rather than on the cpu.

He be 9 end the year. Be a good while before need to go updating stuff so ill worry about it then!

Advertisement