Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wedding Invites - very late, or not happening?

Options
  • 22-05-2022 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

A relative is due to get married in just under 6 weeks. My family received a "save the date" card a year ago, with the date and venue listed. However, with less than 6 weeks to go there is no sign of actual invitations.

What is a normal time frame for receiving invitations? Is this normal? I don't feel I am in a position to ask directly if the wedding is still happening - I don't want to offend or upset if something has happened, whether personal or financial. The couple is definitely still together but who knows! But I am fairly close family and I have others asking me about it and it's getting awkward.

This seems quite late to me, particularly given that the wedding is taking place a fair distance from home (of both bride and groom), in a place not easily accessible by public transport (many of those expected to attend don't drive), at a 4-star venue with astronomical prices (even more so in the current climate, and at this late stage affordable alternative accommodation locally will be impossible to get). Arrangements will also be needed for elderly family who would expect to attend.

Any thoughts? Am I wrong to think this is not normal? Yes, we received the save the date card so perhaps that's considered enough to make plans? Personally I wouldn't want to be presumptuous and that was a general card given to the household - no clarity on plus ones etc.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Up until the last few months, covid has really buggered up any kind of planning for weddings. Literally overnight, there could have been an announcement that the 50 you were allowed at weddings became 6.

Then lots of venues went bust, went under new management and all that. Or it could be as simple as an invite getting lost in the post /going astray.

I've been asked dozens of times if our wedding is going ahead and I don't think you'd offend if you asked - just drop a text, maybe explaining that you are starting to plan your summer and if you need to plan for attending the wedding or if their plans have changed due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Thanks for the insight. I had dinner with the couple in March and there was talk of bridesmaids dresses etc so at that point it all seemed to be going ahead. Nobody has received an invitation yet so def not lost in the post. I'll just have to ask directly as you say.

I totally understand if something has unexpectedly caused cancellation or postponement. But at this stage, if it going ahead, I see no accommodation locally and a room is €500 for the night in the hotel. Taxi there will be €100 and prob double that back late night, so still pricey! So unfortunately it may only be me who can afford to attend and no other family members. I hope they will understand.

If this has been cancelled for a while now without notice then I will be annoyed as I could have gone away cheaper.

Why didn't you book accommodation when you got the Save the Date card. Isn't that what a lot of the point of it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Because the save the date was given to the family home in general, no people listed on it. Perhaps it would only be my parents invited, or perhaps only eldest child also. Maybe there will be plus one, maybe not. To me it would be very presumptuous and risky to book that early without actual invitations. And it was given 15 months in advance at a time of massive Covid uncertainty with weddings still subject to serious restrictions - it didn't seem sensible to book anything that far ahead.

Advertisement