Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Cobblelock Driveway

Options
  • 20-05-2022 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭

i am looking to add one single row of stones to the either edge of my driveway. Currently they are concreted in at the edge with a gain hint, so I will need to break way the haunching is there and then lay the new edge.

There is a flower bed on either side that I will be eating into a small amount, just wondering what approach others would take to this?

do I use a pick or similar to break away the current haunching but leave the existing row where possibly in place or take up the edge and reconcrete 2 rows?

do I need to put a gravel and a sand layer under the new edge or just Concrete it in?

I have gotten the blocks from a neighbour who took up their driveway so colours should match closely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

For completeness here is a photo of the blocks laid out where I want to extend them from on side in case that explains it better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭standardg60

Firstly clear the soil back to expose the haunching so you can see what you're dealing with. Knock away the edge block and then see if the haunching will just prize away from the soldier course, hopefully it's not running under them.

Then you can break up the haunching and use that as a base for extending the width, and concrete in the extra rows and re-edge

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to work out my concrete requirements then, I have about 9.5m long of edge to do, so I think if I am right in estimating that I need about 0.25m3 of concrete for this so about 10 bags of this?

https://tjomahony.ie/19ks5224625.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Haven't looked at the quantity but that Kilsaran sand/cement mix is very expensive at €11.50 per bag. I got a couple of bags of this O'Brien's equivalent in Goodwins last week at €8.75, bought a couple of bags in Jun 2021 also and it was €7.60 then. Might save you a few euro but if purchasing that quantity would be cheaper again to purchase the sand and cement separately and mix yourself.

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/o-brien-sand-cement-drymix-3-1-25kg-4000023.html?name=cement&type=simple

You won't know how much concrete you need until you do the preparatory work eg. how much loose soil needs to be cleared away to get to a solid base and how deep the haunching is

• Advertisement

It seems the concrete only started at the haunching, none under the soldier course. I’ve broken up the haunching with an SDS drill and a chisel bit. And I’ve dug out loose soil till I hit a stable compacted level.

Going to use the broken up haunching as a stone base after I’ve levelled the soil better and concrete in the new batch.

there’s a small amount of prexisting subsidence I’m going to try and resolve while I’m at it

Good job OP.

Jeez there wasn't much haunching or base there no wonder it subsided.

That line of soil under the haunching should be settled enough now to lay your extra course on, especially when you level up the soldier course and pack some concrete under, then put in a decent haunch.

You've dug down to a decent level there, so should be fine.

Thanks for that. Finished that side yesterday, will load the soil back into the bed this evening hopefully.

next weekend I’ll tackle the other side of the drive.

Advertisement