Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Boundary Wall

Options
  • 20-05-2022 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We live on an estate and share a side boundary garden wall with our neighbour. The boundary wall is the correct legal height of 2m but my neighbour asked could he go 60 cm higher with the boundary wall in order to attach a lean-to to his back wall and use our shared boundary wall to support his lean-to. I politely refused as the boundary wall is the correct legal height and we are hoping to sell in a few years and don't want any disputes about the height of the wall.

I arrived back to see that instead he has built a concrete outside small shed with (toilet and shower/needs to be finished)which is essentially attached to the boundary wall as I did not give his permission to heighten the wall. So he built the shed directly beside our shared boundary wall so now we have our boundary wall of 2m and another wall which measures 2.6m and it's built inside their boundary wall. There is no space between shared boundary wall and his wall of the shed.

I'm aware that you can build a shed etc in your garden of certain dimensions, I'm just perplexed as to how it can be directly placed beside a Shared boundary wall. Is there a height restriction of this shed/extra room as it's directly attached onto the boundary wall? I know it's 2.5m in the garden but thought it had to be level with shared boundary wall as now we have a 60cm concrete second wall popping up when I look out my living room window.

Is there a 1 m restriction limit at all between a shared boundary wall and construction of an outside room? I see that there is a place for a window on this room but again thought if it had a window then needs to be 1m distance from the boundary wall?

Appreciate any advice really, just a little dismayed that a new neighbour would proceed without informing us at all.

Comments

Perfectly fine. A garden structure max height is 3m, or 4m if it has a pitched roof, without the requirement for planning. The 1m distance for boundary walls and windows is for those that face each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A window facing the boundary wall needs to be 1m from the boundary wall, but if it's not facing the boundary wall it doesn't. Other than that, there's no reason he can't build a new wall directly inside the boundary wall so long as it doesn't negatively affect the structure of the boundary wall.

There are height restrictions, but they haven't breached them if it's only 2.6m. The height can be ip to 3m for a flat roof or up to 4m for a pitched roof (4m to the highest point of the roof).

So long as no part of the structure is crossing the centre of the boundary wall (centre of boundary wall may be dependant on if there are piers in the wall), then they appear to have constructed it within their rights to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elf22

Thank you for the quick replies and clear advice, just surprised that you can directly build inside a shared boundary wall and leave no space. As now all I can see from my living room window is the extra high wall.Very disappointed that he did not bother to explain his intentions to us, plus he entered our property whilst I was at work to cap it as our gate was open and that's never unbolted due to our child. Just disappointed with the lack of respect to neighbours. thank again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭phormium

I put a wooden shed up against the boundary wall and it's quite tall at the back, it goes up about 1m over the 2m wall, it was purpose built and in fact it's main purpose was to block the view into my kitchen from window next door! So while it's not block wall it's the same sort of concept, I certainly wouldn't have asked or advised next door about it at the time.

I suppose neighbour got the hump when you refused to let him build against the wall and decided to go ahead with what he was allowed to do, I'm kind of not surprised he didn't call back in. However he shouldn't have accessed your garden without permission!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

If you told him you're selling then he doesn't need to keep in good with you.

Saying no to neighbours poisons the relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭1641

Be careful that his shed roof structure does not intrude across the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

If what he has done is exempted from planning, then he can do it. He is under no obligation to tell you or to make any concessions or anything.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Advertisement