Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Pixel 6 Pro vs Samsung S22 Ultra

• 20-05-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, aware there are many reviews on phone review websites etc. but wanted to hear this from an Irish perspective. Have had my eye on the Google Pixel 6 Pro recently which is for sale at €799 on their website, but received a call from the Three upgrade team recently saying I could get the S22 Ultra for €530 if I stay on my current deal. Which would be the better purchase in your opinion?

I was drawn to the Pixel due to it's camera mainly, I also like the sound of some of the features on the phone. The last Samsung I had was the S8 and I just felt so bored of Samsung by the end of my time with it.. Maybe it has improved? Are there any features on this phone (aside from the S-Pen, unsure how much I will use that) that make it stand out or might not be on your average phone?

It sounds as if the battery life/charging on the S22 Ultra are superior, also aware that the Pixel 6 series has had a lot of bugs/software issues but that sounds like it has mostly been sorted. Is it just a case of Pixel having the superior camera vs Samsung edging it everywhere else? Or am I oversimplifying it. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You've summarised it neatly yourself. Google computational photo processing is a good bit ahead of anyone else in the Android market at the moment but Samsung slightly better at everything else, particularly with one ui

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭TheRona

What is your current deal? The two phones aren't really in the same price bracket, and the price 3 are offering you suggests you're paying a decent amount each month with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Uhar14

My son has the Pixel 6 pro, and I have the s22 ultra.

I was actually shocked just how much better the pixel camera is. So much more detail is captured. I only did side by side pictures today so both are updated to the latest software.

I do prefer almost everything else about the s22 ultra though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I went with the S22 Ultra in the end, I'm paying €45 a month with 3 but they've given me the first 6 months half price.

To be honest I'm not finding it much of an improvement on my P30 Pro. Battery is at best the same (as a 2 year old device), charging is slower but knew it would be, camera is not as impressive as I was expecting. It really struggles with any sort of movement and there is a significant lag in the camera shutter button IMO.

Was driving down the country the other day and was relying on Google maps, it seemed really sluggish switching between maps and Spotify etc. Never an issue on my P30 Pro. Then every now and then the alerts just seem to go crazy, for example when my phone was auto backing up WhatsApp the other day, it was pinging every two seconds for the duration of the update. No idea why or how to stop it.

It's a good phone obviously but I don't see many major upgrades on what was a 2 year old device and have probably had more issues with this than I did with the Huawei.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

At this point, phones have hit the point laptops did about 5/6 years ago. Even older models are still perfectly usable and more than enough for most people's needs.

New models (particularly in the flagship arena) are now just incremental CPU/RAM upgrades in the main but there's no real need for the extra power as there's nothing that uses it - stuff like Dex is cool but niche. Cameras are likewise at the point where anything more would probably need an actual pro-level camera. Certainly more than enough for selfies, pictures of your dinner, and the other things most people use them for. There's still value/benefit to upgrades in the mid-tier though.

You occasionally get genuinely new features like foldable devices, but these are again largely a niche thing.

I have a Note 20 Ultra that itself was an incremental update from the Note 10+ I had before it. I can't see a compelling reason to upgrade to an S22 Ultra and I would be a techie and heavy user of my phone. It just doesn't justify the significant outlay which is in itself another issue - flagships are 1500 now on release which is frankly nuts for what is still at the end of the day, a phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement