Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Throwing Up During Sparring

• 20-05-2022 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've been boxing for the last 2 years and pretty much, whenever I spar intensely I end up getting sick, typically by round 2. At first, I thought it was a lack of conditioning but throughout the years my conditioning has improved yet I still get sick when sparring. I understand throwing up when working out intensely is common but I figured after a certain point it would go away.

Now I'm looking to compete in amateur matches but my coach refuses to put me in there if I'm going to throw up, the annoying part is a lot of the times it's not even from any type of body shot or tiredness, as I feel like I can keep going. I can just be boxing in the middle of a round during sparring , not get hit, and all of a sudden just feel extremely nauseous out of nowhere and end up getting sick.

I've visited a general doctor and she said it's either a) psychological or b) something going on with my gut and suggested I see a gastrologist? I've never experienced this in my life up to boxing and it's hurting my confidence. I just want to know if anyone else experienced this, especially those who competed and how can I get past this? I try working out harder, sparring harder, etc, and it just doesn't go away... Advice? Is this psychological? Appreciate the advice and sorry for long text.

Comments

Guessing you're in Ireland, there's not much point going to the doctor unless you already know what's wrong or it's actually something serious.

I would guess it's something that would improve over time but how to do so I'm not sure. It's likely related to the adrenaline and fight-or-flight kicking in, like how a lot of burglars get diarhoea. 🤣 While you know on some level it's a controlled environment there's still someone trying to hit you and it's like travel sickness, the mind and body are fighting each other except with extra energy and power and yeah, it can cause an obvious reaction. It sounds a bit like an adrenaline crash, or are you physically ok aside from the actual vomiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Throwing up during any activity is usually a good warning sign that your body is stressed, and more a worrying sign if it is during boxing, where head trauma and physical impact needs to be considered

Not telling you what to do, but is it worth it to be sparring (where you will be taking head shots) when you are also liable to be vomiting? I mean, what is the actual point of this, really? Your health and life surely come first!!

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Quit sparring today for now at least,

Vomiting is a sign of concussion ,have you been knocked out or been in any accident in recent years ,

If your making it through a round and only vomiting in round two sounds like its when you take damage,

Vomiting when exercising hard only happens if you have a full stomach and have eaten unwisely before training,

Even if unfit you should not be vomiting after week or 2 of training ,What do you eat before training , are you taking protein shakes ?

Do you get really nervous or anxious before sparring ,

I presume your a young enough lad, why take the risk don't spar unless you get to the bottom of it,

I trained & sparred for years and one morning in my early 30's i went for a run after a hard spar the night before & basically lost a minute of time some how, i just checked out & that was that i never sparred again ,

What's the point , your health is your wealth, you have your whole life ahead of you, do pads work , heavy bags ,do the exercise but don't spar until you know exactly what's wrong, A million other sports that don't involve getting hit in the head so often ,

Advertisement