Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss on annual leave and I want to give notice

Options
  • 19-05-2022 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Should I give notice anyway to another manager? Not sure yet on start date of new role, if they want me start in 4 weeks (they are aware of my current notice period), then I'd really need to give my notice ASAP.

Bit more info - I have mixed feelings towards my current employer. In some ways they've been good to me, but in others they've treated me quite badly. I still feel it would be respectful to speak to my direct manager, but in all honesty if the tables were turned I don't think I'd be treated with the same level of respect. In fact, respect is a huge issue where I work and is one of the reasons I'm leaving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ferpederine

Yeah, I would just give it to their boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭El Vino

Or hand to HR would also work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

No HR at the moment. They are trying to recruit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Kurooi

Is 1 month normal for you job and industry? I'd wait,

I'd expect the new employer to wait an extra week or two if needed. And if they haven't formalised a contract (which includes the start date) that's on them too. I'd hold off on handing in my notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tell anyone in management... and you can talk to your immediate line manager when he/she gets back

I don't see any valid reason to wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Do nothing until you have your new contract signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's only business. Hand in your notice to any suitable manager.

Don't take it too seriously. You'll be forgotten in weeks. Life goes on. Don't waste another day in a job you want to get out of and try and get some leave yourself before starting fresh.

Good luck in new role.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Thanks for the responses. I'll get my contract today. My preference would be to give my notice to my bosses boss today, as I would like it done as soon as possible, and a weight off my shoulders heading into the weekend. 4 weeks is the norm, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Contracts typically have notice periods on them, so check your current contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I presume the boss has delegated authority to someone else?

In which case hand it to them. No biggie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yep, as everyone has said, it's fine to hand in your notice to whoever your manager delegated their responsibilities to during their absence. It might be best to inform your manager's manager as well, especially if said delegate isn't a manager themselves; an IC employee temporarily handling some management duties in their own manager's absence might not be familiar with how to handle an employee's resignation themselves.

Advertisement