Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tobergal Lane to be covered?

Options
  • 19-05-2022 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭

Coming soon to Tobergal Lane in Sligo town!

Thanks to the Fáilte Ireland Outdoor Dining Enhancement Scheme, which is intended to enhance and weatherproof outdoor dining areas in town centres. The centre of Tobergal Lane, home to three hospitality businesses, will be transformed this summer in to a winter ready outdoor dining area. Suitable for sun, rain, wind or hail.

https://www.facebook.com/sligocountycouncil/posts/377996751037092

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Transformed is a bit of an exaggeration from them. Don't get me wrong, the concepts look nice but it's mostly the same with some extra plants and some parasols

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

no, it has to be something more adventurous than a few parasols over tables surely?

some kind of fixed structure - roof or something? - the description is "weatherproof outdoor dining areas" and "winter ready outdoor dining area. Suitable for sun, rain, wind or hail" - a few parasols over some tables aint gonna do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

I took the images from the FB post to be day and night concept drawings of what it will look like after the "transformation". Like the drain or path or whatever it is running through the middle which isn't there now as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm hoping there's some sort of awning that's going to weatherproof or at least waterproof the Tobergal lane area rather than rain lazering lightbulbs. If so, it's going to be a trailblazing major feather to the cap to Sligo town, one that towns & cities like Galway & Dublin can look towards and try and emulate.

If it happens, it will be another reason for my family to keep going back to Sligo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It does kind of look like just parasols from the artis's impression but outside Bistro Bianconi it looks like a wood and glass perimeter wall around the seating area and covered with a large awning/parasol. Something like that might work better than just the covering up top. Excited to see it either way :)

• Advertisement

Some form of heating would be required as well,its pretty nippy down that lane!

awning is ok until the wind picks up ... and then its curtains! ... well its not curtains but you know what I mean lol

the only other structure I could see that would be suitable is one made up from free-standing tubular or square metal framework and sloping shatterproof and reinforced UV resistant glass at the top of it. the columns /pillars being placed in the middle of the pathway so the structure or any part of it does not even have to attach to or touch the existing buildings there and with its own drainpipe system to let the drain off from the glass roof into the existing gulley's / drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

The artists impression isn't very inspiring but maybe it will turn out good. The town is dead and badly needs to get more life into it.

Advertisement