Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance confusion

Options
  • 19-05-2022 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at a few 650 bikes at the moment. The ones that caught my eye are the Ninja 650 and CBR650R both around 2019-2021. Now I tried to get some quotes (Principal and Carol Nash). Ninja 650 insured no problem, CBR650 is a no go. I really like the way the cbr looks + the engine sound. The ninja is superb to look at but a bit lifeless.

Now I know the power difference between them as the cbr is much more powerful however, I can get insured on a 2020-2021 CB650R which is exactly the same engine as the CBR no problem. Do I have a case to argue with the insurers? Both the CB and the CBR have the same engine just one has nice plastics on it. Am I missing something ? 🙄

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

The R in CBR seems to alter insurance quotes out of all proportion. I don't think insurance companies understand the niceties of motorcycling naming nomenclature too well unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Miscreant

They may have the same engine but as you say, the power output is different, so the CBR is therefore in a higher risk category. Coupled with the extra plastics on the CBR it means that any potential damage claim will also be higher (replacement fairing is not cheap).

You could argue the "same engine" defence for both bikes but at the end of the day, the insurance company has the specs of both and has deemed the CBR to be a higher risk. You will be banging your head off a wall... Which is generally what happens when you try to reason with insurance companies anyway, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Any sport bike will command a higher premium. As above the output is different to the standard CB650. What is your license situation like? Full license, NCB etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭RobertM

Returning to bikes so 0 NCB, learner permit. Whilst I don't mind a low ish power for myself, I'm thinking about longevity. Ideally I wanted something around 90ish hp to "future proof", as the wife wants to go in it eventually. That's why I'm not too sure about the ninja 650 with its 65hp output for too passenger's in the future.

At this point the sensible thing I reckon would be get something cheap to get the 1st year out of the way pass the test and then have a look at upgrading for long term.

And yeah I get the point with the fairings and whatnot but still it's a shame that anything with R in its name does get crucified by insurances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is that the ideal bike for two up?

• Advertisement

I fully agree with what your saying, however she's never even been in close proximity to a bike let alone ride on it, so if it turns out she doesn't like biking, then at least I still have my "super sports" for myself, rather than a tourer. If that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

I got insured with Carole Nash no probs on a 2015 cbr650f with 0 years ncb and learner permit so I don't think it's the bike is the problem,that was 2 yrs ago now.

Maybe try pricing an older one and see will they quote you,might be the higher value on the newer bike is an issue for them.

Also I wouldn't recommend them for touring,might be fine for a short spin somewhere but there really are much better and safer bikes out there if she is going to go with you very often.

I would start on an older model and see how you both get on,

Also am I right in thinking you can't carry pillions on a learner permit?

Yes that's correct, no pillions on Learners, but hopefully by the end of the year I will have the full license. I did talk to Principal and the lady on the phone said they have in their system CBR650's up to 2014-2015, after that they get rejected, so I might try that route and price an older one.

How would you rate your cbr comfort wise? Any major issues to look out for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

She won't like biking if her first introduction is a super sports bike. You don't need a tourer either. There's plenty of other style of bike that could suit. A lot of cars are only 80 or 90 bhp and manage to haul families around a 65bhp will be plenty fast for road use and touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

I've had mine just over 2 years and I love it, it was my first ever bike.

I find it very easy to ride especially for starting out, I've got down to cork times on it and had no comfort issues after 2/3 hours in the saddle.

I find it has plenty of power for a first bike, its only now I find I tend to stay in the higher rev ranges or sometimes there are places I think I could do with a little but more power, anywhere around 100-140 bhp should be all anyone really needs on the road.

I haven't had any issues with mine, They are easy to work on, I've done all the servicing myself using just the haynes manual and online forums and I would never have done that kind of work before.

In 2 years i've changed the radiator, calipers, pads, tyres, air filter, oil filter, heated grips, chain, sprockets.

Not sure where you are but i'm in the southeast if you ever fancy a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No-one will insure you on the CBR650R first time out. That's a Tier 2 bike in insurance co parlance, which means you'll need a full licence and 3 years experience to just get a quote.

In general, anyting with the 'r' at the end is a no-go for first timers, as the cost of even a low speed drop, due to the price of plastics, is significant. Doesn't matter whether it's a 500 or 600 or anything else.

My young lad, now coming up on 3 years NCB had the exact same issue and got insured on a CB500F, but nobody would quote the CB500R at all. Hopefully this year he can, and he's looking at a CBR600F, which is actually a very fine bike.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks for the off Robbie. I'm based in East Meath so slim chances to go there.

I've kinda given up with the idea of the CBR650. IBT is in 3 weeks time so around the time I'll be looking to see what I can get insured on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

As others say insurance is a right bugbear when you are on an L permit or even a new passed full licence like myself. I can get insurance for 1 bike only [XVS] as Liberty do not do multi-bike or so they tell me. Keep in mind that anything remotely sporty will work against you. The R letter seems to be a real issue for insurance people in general.

Best of luck

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

I have a CBR650R I couldent get insured on it until I was at least 2 years with a full licnese at the time with a couple of the insurers.

Finally got a 21' model. I have used it for everything, Commuting, shop trips, long trips, spins witht he missus. No complaints with comfort.

I have it set up as a minnie VFR with the soft luggage and the rack :) great all rounder bike. Unfortunatly it has that exra R so insurance is not great on it.

All of folks rolll their eye up at it say its not a "Real" sport bike and I supose it isent I see it as a small tourer with a sporty bias.

Advertisement