Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disciplinary Action

Options
  • 18-05-2022 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Earlier in the day I had the unpleasant experience of being abused quite seriously, and perhaps racially, although it may have just been xenophobic.

In the Ukrainian mega thread, a poster quoted a post of mine about the uncapped influx of refugees from Ukraine, his post was along the likes of ‘I hope we import hundreds of thousands of refugees so they can outbreed miserable Irish b*starts like yourself”.

Now this was quite serious abuse, and the post was removed after I’d reported it, however there was no mod note, no ban, nothing. For all intents and purposes, it never happened. Generally on the site I’ve seen offending posts edited by mods and the disciplinary action input. It’s terrible to be abused like this, report it, and see no action taken. On the old site there were yellow cards etc

Just wondering why the poster wasn’t flagged as thresdbanned etc, if even for other mods and also to prevent other posters from responding or questioning something that cannot be answered??

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

From what I’ve seen mods are just removing posts, possibly because it’s easier and quicker, instead of putting in “warnings” etc.

If the post is bad enough, the one you mentioned wasn’t, obviously, they’ll announce that the user has been threadbanned.

The user, in question, may have received a warning in private and, if they receive more they’ll get the “prison bars” in their avatar. Never a good look, have you had them yourself yet, F?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

"Chat sh*t, get banged", as the kids would say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

In the case of Feedback/Helpdesk, unwelcome posts are usually simply deleted. Given the usually fairly tight focus of these threads, if we started interrupting them with warnings etc, then it could easily lead to derailing the thread. Further action is only required if someone really insists on acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So racism/xenophobia isn’t ‘really acting up’?? Is that Boards policy??

It wouldn’t be the fact that he was backing up a mod in the argument that led to this??

Racism against 'whites' is ballpark,,, racism against White Irish is a free for all - have a go,,, posts might be deleted, and that's the height of it................................. unless I'm wrong

• Advertisement

But only when it’s against men, right, lads? The “real” victims.

They deleted the reverse racism slight against you, what more do you want? You’d be crying bully if the mods made a fanfare for any of your posts that had to be deleted for “classic” racism.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

There is no such thing as "reverse" racism. Racism is racism. If I'd made any racist remarks I'd expect a siteban. Seems you've no issue with sexism either Emmet, or is your post the fabled "reverse" sexism??

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, F. But you wouldn’t be getting a site ban for saying something racist, you’d get “sanctioned” alright but not a site ban.

Sure the “Current Affairs” forum would be fairly quiet if that was the case.

Anyway, the post was removed, the mod has dealt with it. What more do you want?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is not sitewide Feedback

Thread moved to Help Desk

I've had no PM from you about this OP. Have you PM'd another mod to enquire?

My policy is straightforward. If posts are abusive they are actioned and deleted. We only go into the actual action taken with the poster who has been actioned

• Advertisement

Why would I PM you? There is nothing in the thread to suggest that it was you that had removed it. I've better things to be doing than sending multiple messages to multiple Mods on a wild goose chase, another reason that it should be stated what action was taken and by who.

As for your last sentence, that is an absolute lie. See below from 2 days ago, or is this a brand new policy?? Or are people who agree with you within the thread from the OP exempt from on-thread warnings, if it was you who deleted it? There are also multiple threads with a caveat stating "Threadbanned Users in the OP."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm a mod of the forum -why wouldn't you? Actually it's quite clear you wanted to make a big fuss in Feerdback

I don't state when I remove individual posts

Threadbans are communicated in all cases as there is no way to enforce. We rely on posters reporting breaches

Threadbans are not "formal" sanctions, unlike pointed warnings site and forum bans.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement