Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Settle an argument! Hand brake up or down?!

Options
  • 18-05-2022 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

So my question is really whether a hand brake needs to be up when you stop at traffic lights for an automatic car.

One instructor says not necessary as its automatic but is needed for a manual.

Other instructor says it must be up in traffic lights for automatic.

Test is soon and I panic and sometimes forget to put it up or don't put it down properly.

Thanks 😊

Post edited by Percyxoxo on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Not based on the rules of the road but on the test, I'd put it up. Just be cautious with it on the test.

In the real world. Putting it Park while waiting at the lights would be fine.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The point of putting handbrake on is to stop the car moving if you are hit from behind and your foot moves.

But they may mark this differently these days as there was some talk about not doing it as it hinders progression when moving off at light.

Our auto won't roll back on hills and theres almost no situation you need to use the manual handbrake at all except parking. But the rules of the test are different to real life habits. I mainly use it out of habit from driving a manual.

It's a pity the driving instructor's aren't consistent. I would have assumed they would know how the rule is applied in the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,047 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Don't put it on if you are first at the lights, otherwise do as there is plenty of time to take it off without delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

When you stop at the lights do you leave gear in D or P or N, if in D or N would say yes to hand brake, if in P would say No

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

I would leave it in D..and just keep foot on brake. Good logic thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

then i would say thats a no no, as @Flinty997 says if you got hit from behind your car would not just move forward but drive forward as its in D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

Thanks for your response. It makes sense. I just need to ensure it's down full when I pull off..something I struggle with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I done my bus test last December and I left the handbrake on at lights and in D? And was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I wonder if in modern vehicles when the handbrake is on it knows this and prevents it from creeping forward against the handbrake?

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭kirving

A pervious auto of mine had a foot operated perking brake, but also had a feature where you could kick the brake pedal, and it would basically activate a check valve on the normal hydraulic brakes, but be imperceptible to the instructor. This would then be deactivated by pressing the accelerator.

I wonder what should be done in that scenario?

Some EV's will have that option nowadays, but my current PHEV will still creep. I guess the idea really is so that A) it doesn't roll backward, and B) so that it "feels" like a traditional automatic with a torque convertor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement