If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)

Social housing options

  • 18-05-2022 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ Slimdowngal

    Hi, I am not 100% sure where to post this but thought I might start in this section:

    I am divorced since Oct 21. Due to get 60% of the family home proceeds which is coming up to sale agreed.

    I have cancer for a second time (I am now 45) so I am on extended sick leave from my job. On a reduced salary and SW payments as a result. Not even sure if I can return to work as my cancer is not curable, only treatable so I will be on chemo meds for life. Huge amount of side effects which might never go away.

    Privately rented for 2yrs as I had to leave family home due to coercive control abuse of my now ex. I had to move into my sisters house as I ran out of money to pay for the crazy rent.

    Qualified for social housing list. Applying to HAP at the mo.

    In all likelihood, I am not ever going to qualify for a mortgage on my own due to my age and my health status. Plus I will probably return to work on a part-time basis.

    So.........that probably leaves me with looking at getting a mortgage of the government through one of the various schemes. Hard to get to talk to anyone in relation to all this. The info is online but I would really need to sit down and talk to a person face to face. I do not want to pump all the proceeds from the sale of our family home into a house. I want to retain a large chunk of that money for my nest egg for myself and our 2 kids.

    Anyone on here any experience with this side of things? Social housing options and looking for a mortgage off the government??

    thanks in advance


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭ Caranica

    I'd look to make an appointment with Citizens information and go in and talk to them. Unfortunately there aren't many viable options but CI will have the most up to date details.

  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ Slimdowngal

    Is it even possible to make an appointment and speak to anyone face to face?? I asked before when I was in Fingal CC offices and they said that it wasn't possible to meet with one of the housing dept team 🤷‍♀️

  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭ houseyhouse

    I think you problem is going to be that your wealth over 10k will be assessed as means (there’s a formula to figure out how much). The state won’t normally house you at their expense just because you’d rather save your money for something else. I understand that it’s an unusual situation though so there may be exceptions. If you were to be given social housing before the sale went through you could keep the home after but with the length of housing lists that seems unlikely, even with your health situation.

  • Registered Users Posts: 24,668 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

    Approach a voluntary housing association eg Cluid, and see what sort of shared ownership schemes they might have.

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭ Caranica

    The housing team aren't there to advise you or tell you your options. They're there to evaluate and process applications.

    Again I recommend citizens information.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ Slimdowngal

    Good point. I will contact citizens advise and some other housing bodies. thank you 👍️