Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ukraine 🇺🇦

Options
  • 18-05-2022 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

With all Ukrainian in Ireland and some have came with there car I wonder are car even insured

Post edited by Whocare on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Why wouldn't they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

We can’t keep the window right ourselves not to mind hurtling that one at war victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Whocare

Because of war some insurance companies could be gone out of business

Personally almost seen ukraine reg car almost cause crash yesterday on aroundabout. Would be some nightmare trying to phone up there insurance I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Are there that many of them on the road? I have been driving around Dublin quite a bit lately and not noticed a single Ukranian registered car yet. I assume they are left hand drive so would stand out anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm on road lot (truck driver) would seen one every few days at least

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've seen 2 in Dublin, I'd say figures are low. I suppose claims procedure is the same as being in an accident with a UK vehicle with both not in EU and not required to display insurance discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve actually seen a few as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've seen 4 or 5 on my local travels

A newish Mondeo, a Toyota land cruiser, and some people carriers, didn't notice any bullet holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

8% of Irish regged cars are being driven by uninsured drivers.

1 in 12. 174000 uninsured drivers on the road is a lot more worrying than people fleeing a war zone who may or may not be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

8% of Irish reg'd cars are uninsured.

Who's to say they are being driven.

I have a few cars that aren't being driven on the road, and they haven't been sord'd.

Anyway, if there is a crash with a Ukrainian car, it'll ultimately end up with the MIBI

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ukraine is outside the EU so their policies most likely don't offer cover in the EU without a Green Card, I know I'm not insured to drive in Ukraine without a green card. When running from a war would many people think to get the green card from their insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kinney

I don't think there would be any problem to get a green card even at the border of a EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I noticed a UA reg Korean SUV on the M50. It appeared to have a US style indicator setup with flashing red, which was surprising but perhaps it orginated in the US rather than being supplied new in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

US imports are as popular on the Continent, as Japanese imports in Ireland. (so not too common, but you see them regularly).

Nothing strange about that one then.

I think green cards can only issued by your own insurer as an extension to your policy to cover you driving in another country.

Don't think that Ukrainian car can get green car anywhere else than from his own Ukrainian insurer.

For that reason, many countries offer a thing called "border insurance", where if you're coming from abroad and don't hold green card, then you can purchase a policy to drive in that country.

I know Poland offers that kind of insurance for foreign cars (originating from outside of EU) which you can purchase on the border with validity for a month or longer.

I even thing recently such policies were offered to Ukrainians for free.

I don't think though that such policy would be valid anywhere outside Poland.

I also don't think any Irish insurer offers a thing like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen a total of one - quite early on, a 7 seater of some type.

Rural places where larger amounts of those who arrive by road have been placed will have way more - not much point putting someone who came here by plane with a suitcase in a hotel in the country; but someone who has transport can be.

Swfvd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would be concerned their home insurance would have the usual 90 day limit while abroad or even 30 days max. If "living" in Ireland they probably need to exchange their licence for Irish, I think their was done sort of exemption given as it was not automatic before.

Assuming they want to go full legit they would need to re-register with Irish reg, Irish driving licence and Irish insurance. The insurance for Ireland would be very high for wrong side drive, no no claims bonus etc, if we assume they need car to get to work, then it may make more sense for them to drive a small Irish car. They are hardly fleeing a war after driving through many countries not at war, not that I am against them coming, nor having temporary exemptions for them on arrival in Ireland say 90 days max.

• Advertisement

I say for time being Garda are turning a blind eye to it .I put comments on Garda Facebook page were seized learner driver car . about UA registered cars driving around what insurance cover do thay have comments was deleted and I was blocked.

Same down in cork Q7 with red flashing indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

if insured through a ukranian insurance company that is now closed because of war it would be some mess

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So the Gardai blocked you on Twitter for asking a civil question. Absolute state of that force….

we must presume that there are other laws that the Gardai in relation to Ukrainians will refuse to enforce…or have been instructed on the QT not to.

Was surprise as well with response.

The "usual 90 day limit while abroad" is purely Irish/UK thing and generally only relates to non-obligatory insurance (anything above basic third party).

Considering Ukraine is not in the EU, either they have green card and are covered (no matter how long they are here) or they don't and then they are not, as I doubt any Irish insurer is offering so called "border insurance" for foreign cars.

Not sure about a need to exchange licence to Irish.

About being fully legit and re-registering car to Irish reg - that is only required for people who become resident here. Generally foreign car can be used here up to 12 months provided owner is non-resident. Obviously this depends on circumstances, but unless someone came here with a plan to stay, then couple months temporary stay hardly makes them resident, even if they got a job here or rented a property.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Saw my second a few days ago, new-ish Jeep, Renegade I think - more US style red indicators. Very strange that that is so common with them.

Advertisement