Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roof box and bar - advice

Options
  • 17-05-2022 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We have a Mercedes’ glc amg 2019, and I am looking at buying a roof box second hand but trying to figure if it will fit or anything I need to consider. Looking at one for Audi q3 - box and bars, it’s similar solid rails as the Mercedes’ but I am not sure if bars are interchangeable? If I did replace the bars, would the Audi box fit a generic set of bars, like something from micksgarage? And is there anywhere I could get it all fitted to the car? Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I don't have a yes or no answer for you but...

My brother and I share a roofbox (generic type Thule box). We both have different cars. Both cars require the cross-bars to be located in a specific position - they are not adjustable.

What I did was fit it to his car first and then drilled an additional set of holes at the back to accommodate the rail position on my car. We just put some gaffer tape on the locator-hole not being used and it works perfectly - no issues...

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Halfords will supply and fit if you are not up to it yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Most roof boxes come with different spacing holes to allow fitting to all makes of car. Any newer ones I have seen fitted different makes of car no problem. Just measure between the mounting hole positions will.let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Buy the bars off mickgarage

I went with the mid range ones, so not the steel and not the real fancy one. The air noise is quite annoying so I take off when not using

The box, try adverts/donedeal but I had one of the halford own brand ones and closing it was painful so I swapped for a second hand Thule one which was perfect

Advertisement