Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo mass shooting - Great Replacement Theory & the long trail of blood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I dont personally subscribe to the " great replacement theory " or any theories about covid involving Bill Gates etc

I view the notion of a less cohesive society as being good for corporations as having merit however , I also dont believe loose immigration is good for working class people , I thankfully am not effected by immigration as i own my own home and i am reasonably well off but im willing to listen to others who care in sharp competition for resources with immigrants , they should not be dismissed out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

One could argue that the Ireland 2040 plan and its targets basically are Great Replacement Policy not Theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭timmyntc

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant - again its an American concept, cant let all white people be "white" they have to make up some more rules and boundaries for who is and isnt white so they can discriminate etc.

Plenty of Mexicans have fair skin and could pass as European or "White" too - the whole idea of white as a descriptor is an awful idea as its so broad and open to interpretation.

I'm curious as to why you think Oscar Isaac isnt white? Is it because he's hispanic? Because he was born in Central America?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think I’ll go let you ask him if he considers himself Caucasian.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's not an analogy its a very straightforward scenario designed to make you admit that "replace" means "replace" when it comes to demography, which you have.

Now that you've accepted the term "replacement" is accurate in this scenario, you can go on to try and explain how a declining European population and rising non European population in a European majority country cannot also be described as a replacement of one demographic with the other. As in "Europeans are being replaced by non Europeans"

Or just post about "Nazis", "racists" and "guff"

1. I've not called anyone a nazi in this thread
    2. Nor have I called them a racist
    3. It is 100% an analogy, and it is 100% an incorrect one
    4. I took you at your word and answered your question honestly and concisely. You have not returned the favour, which speaks volumes
    5. I might answer the rest of your post if you answer my question, which you dodged previously. Might.

Not really, the theory is centered on race and skin colour firstly and not simply migration. The Ireland 2040 thing expects Ireland's population to grow by a million in 20 years and is centered on preparing our infrastructure for the growth. It doesn't specify anything on the origins of the growth which would realistically be a mix of both migrants and population growth from people having kids etc.

Stupid facts getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

Exactly what I was thinking, just another grifter like Mr Peterson who the far right seem to constantly have a hard on for.

• Advertisement

Nor is Oscar Isaac white **** skinned. Jesus Christ.

Emigration and immigration are a natural consequence of life. To improve their chance of survival people move to areas with more access with the resources to survive. In the 21st century that's jobs and improved living conditions, 10,000 years ago it was richer hunting grounds. It has always been the case and will always be the case. An added benefit being increased genetic diversity as genes are mixed and increased technological and cultural diversity as ideas are mixed. A culture that is static and unchanging is doomed to failure and a gene pool that is static and unchanging is doomed to ill health. For example, Ireland with the lowest genetic diversity in Europe has the highest rates of genetic diseases such as Cystic Fibrosis and others. A trend that is amplified in the west, away from coastal areas.

On a related note, the obsession with skin tone is purely down to it being the most obvious marker of genetic difference, however skin tone is essentially only the outcome of a battle between Folic Acid and Vitamin D. On the broader scheme of things only represents a tiny amount of genetic variation. The entire genetic diversity in Eurasians is largely a subset of that in Africans, and 2 separate African populations will likely share more genetic characteristics with Eurasians than with each other.

Genuine question - what do you consider as a white person?

If Oscar Isaac turned around and said he considers himself white would you tell him hes not white? What is the criteria here? How white does one have to be? This has all the hallmarks of US style racial gatekeeping from yourself. Next you'll be telling us Italians arent white, X Y and Z arent white.

There are about 4 million births in Europe each year.

There are fewer than 1 million immigrants in Europe each year.

Your logic is flawed.

Aaaand another one disenganges when they realise that their position is untenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

Ah here comes the Anti-Semitism bringing poor old Soros into it them god dam GLOBALISTS! look at what Soros and his foundations actually do he is very open about it.

Have you any proof for your claim that multicultural societies don't "band together" Europe as we know it is literally a multicultural society Rome was full of slaves and migrants who eventually were given citizenship. Spain was once full of Muslims and thrived as an Islamic emirate were people of all backgrounds co-existed peacefully among one another. Ireland has had the Normans and British invade us they all seem to be contributing to society and aren't opposing the government. Plenty of Irish people who are of Anglo background and live peacefully here and contribute to the economy.

Even more recently Germany with it's influx of migrants from war-torn regions such as Syria are now thriving. The vast majority of Syrians are proud to be in Germany and have integrated into society and are proud German citizens. Problem seems to be the far-right's backward thinking just because some bad eggs carry out horrific acts of violence it represents all migrants which couldn't be further from the truth. This constant fear-mongering from far right commentators you can guess who is what is stopping us from making real progress and reaching our full potential.

That's gas. The reactionary right took an Irish language chart from 1800 to 1900 and used to to further advance their Great Replacement conspiracy.

Complete charlatans. God help anyone who falls for this nonsense

Actually non-EU immigration into EU is over 2million per year, 2020 due to covid it was 1.9mil which was a notable decrease on previous year

And though you are trying to equate more births than immigrants per year as nothing being replaced, reality is that EU birthrates are declining and already sub-replacement level, so as population declines immigrants will be replacing aging EU populace.

And finally, as for the births in Europe themselves, year on year more of those births are from foreign-born mothers compared to EU-born mothers. From eurostat:

So the current levels of non European immigration to Europe are, in fact, the norm, going back through modern history?

The definition, imho, doesn't include Óscar Isaac Hernández Estrada. Born in Guatemala to a Guatemalan mother and a Cuban father, he and they naturalized as a 1st generation American family when he grew up.

I'm not gatekeeping anything, this is simply how the US (racist in institution as it may well be) classifies the population in census data. I would think of Oscar Isaac as non-white first, but as he jokes, the hollywood producers picked his 2 whitest names and he is 'ethnically ambiguous,' acknowledging that he's been cast recently as an Egyptian-themed superhero (Marc Spector aka. Moon Knight is a Jewish-American who is assumed as the avatar of Khonshu, an egyptian diety based on IRL Khonsu):

So US stats are a mess. As it pertains to GRT though 'white' refers to the definition favored by white supremacists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Well I wonder Coveney himself said on Ireland 2040 plan : over the next 20 years the population of Ireland will certainly grow by over a million people, linked to that estimate will be that half of that number of people won't have been born in Ireland.

Pretty rich seeing as it is you who has refused to answer a simple question, twice now at this stage, when they did it for you in good faith.

Why should anyone bother engaging with you if it's all one-way traffic?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's an extremely dubious statement to make and one very much more of today's politics than history(just like in the past you'd find the opposite statement made.

It's more complex than that, however the most successful and stable societies in history tended to be quite the opposite of "diverse". When diversity showed up it was pretty much always at the point of a sword. Babylon a good example. It was ruled and fought over by a succession of peoples from the area who were pretty closely related culturally anyway. Egypt was very local Egyptian and when it wasn't it was because of invaders from the south(Kush) or later Greeks and Italians eyeing up the place again at the point of a sword. At the height of her Powers Egypt was local Egyptian.

The Greek city states that gave us so much were even more demographically insular. They could barely tolerate the other city states and saw each other as oddballs never mind non Greek outsiders. The Greek barboros where we get barbarian they applied to anyone who was "other" and a non Greek speaker. When they speak of other cultures and peoples it tends to be of the "ah bless, they think they're people" type of thing.

Rome by dint of being an empire was more "multicultural" alright but very much with an over reaching mother culture that brooked little to no dissent from the "other" and tended to get stabby if the idea of Roman was in danger of being diluted. One reason early Christians were made dietary supplements for lions was because the religion was seen as "Un-Roman". And where they invaded and conquered the natives who "became more Roman than the Romans themselves" as it were became the new middle class and local rulers. Similar setup for the later Islamic empire. Similar setup for the Chinese empire(even today with her 50 ethnicities it's the Han that run the place).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Why the "modern" qualifier. It was up to the 17th century, took a brief hiatus and has returned to normal again.

Wibbs original post chastised the US definition of white for being deliberately obtuse and needlessly exclusive anyways, so trying to use US census categories to refute him??? Seems like you are propping up the very same discriminatory ethnic/racial classes that Wibbs was criticising.

Point is, someone who is Hispanic could easily be white also, Hispanic is more of a cultural category than racial (if such a thing even can be defined). To say that Brazilians arent white? Colombians? Chileans? Argentinians? Lovely people, but if you met one who looked like Oscar Isaac and told them they were not white you'd get a fist square in the jaw.

And all of this just serves to point out how stupid and inherently racist the Great replacement theory is anyways, its all centered on white people being replaced, but in the US the so called replacement is by hispanic white people!

They didn't even 'disengage' they just laid out terms for Dyr to answer something and because in his head, he'd already chosen not to, he saw it as disengaging. Powerful gymnast of the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TeamOfMe

Great Replacement Theory is about dilution and change, and comes from western domination and a globalisation that moves away from national identity.

Doesn't make shootings right.

Really, up to the 17th century you say? Expand this sounds interesting.

People born to non-European parents, in Europe, are, by definition, European.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

2011 Eurostat statistics on Ireland's demographics suggested that by 2061, half of all under 14-year-olds will have a migrant background (45.1% across all age ranges).

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/en/web/products-statistical-working-papers/-/KS-RA-11-019

Advertisement