Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butternut Box Dog food - thoughts?

Options
  • 13-05-2022 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’m looking into this food for my dog. Has anyone tried it/thoughts?. She’s just over a year old (terrier) - started her on raw which she ate for 5 months - then went off it so I switched her to Canagans wet food which she likes but the price has increased to €3.30 a can so that’s what it costs me a day and I think its too expensive.

I know some will say I should home cook myself but I did it for my last dog and I found it very time consuming (I batched cooked and it took me a full afternoon)! so I just wanted to find an alternative.

thanks for your advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

I've had our dog on butternut box for around a year. He suffered a bit with dermatitis and bowel issues for years (on a mix of dry, wet and home prepared stuff).. Both issues have cleared up since, his coat and eyes are glowing and he's trimmer. They do a good variety of meals in each box and he wolfs his grub down. No nasty crap in it either, well worth the money here anyway!

Worth pointing out that you need decent freezer space as the boxes can be quite large and we always have to reschedule our preset delivery dates on the app as it's too short, the box lasts here for a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got it last year with 75% off and found it ok. I didn’t buy anymore because it’s just so expensive and at the time Rory was much younger and eating like a horse lol 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I give mainly home cooked food but like to have Butternut as a standby. I think it’s very good, the components are identifiable as proper food and the lamb in particular smells absolutely delicious. My dog is incredibly fussy but she eats this no problem. I haven’t had any trouble rescheduling delivery dates. True, it isn’t cheap but not outrageous either for food which I think is the next best thing to home cooked. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Phoenix Bark is good as well and is more personal than Butternut.

My fella was weird.....as a puppy ate everything, then about 8 -9 months would not eat at all and had to be hand fed and now at a year is back demolishing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Barkin Bistro do some cooked options too and also Wolfs Menu raw food can be cooked if you don’t want to feed it raw - It’s like little burgers. You can get both from Rawvolution.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Started her on the Butternut 3 weeks ago and she loves it! Poos are solid and back to normal too (she had been having diarrhoea on and off with the last food). I think it’s good value for money and cheaper than what she had been on previously (Canagan tins). So I’ll continue on and see how she goes. I like how you can chop and change recipes and also the delivery date is flexible.

I will look into the other foods mentioned as well - thanks.

Advertisement