Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire horrendous cost of hiring

Options
  • 13-05-2022 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I want to hire a car from Dublin airport for 1 week in August.

checking online and shocked that the daily rental price on small car is over €150/day

i have been hiring cars for many years and never have the rental prices been so high.

is this inflation or a rip off ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

The demand is obviously there or they wouldn't be able to maintain such high prices, but for the most part it can be put down to inflation. Everything but everything is rocketing up in price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Not an Irish phenomenon at the moment.

Rental car prices are up in all markets as companies sold off stock during COVID to release some much needed revenue.

The post COVID car semiconductor shortage is then affecting rental companies ability to get fresh stock so prices for what is available are way up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not just Ireland, i had to pay nearly 3.5k for a 7 seater in Orlando in October, was just over 1k last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

83 a day on the corsa, that's mid august

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

could you please send me a link to that search site - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I wonder if car dealerships (Toyota, Nissan, etc) would be interested in renting me a car in August

any idea if garages offer this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

am in the same boat, coming home from Denmark for a wedding in Oct and booking a car big enough for 2 adults 2 kids and suitcases is coming in very pricy indeed - will cost more than our flights!

Ryanair car rental is coming up a few hundred cheaper than the traditional companies - car is ford focus - I am sure there are hidden costs but even with ''full insurance'' selected which is 10 quid extra a day, its still coming up way cheaper. Am still hesitant to push the button tho - Has anyone booked car rental with ryanair? is ''full insurace'' all we need to get out of the airport without them taking a hefty €XXXX deposit on our cards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this was found after someone posted in the motoring forum about the eyewatering quote for hire of a seven seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dealerships can't get stock of cars to sell, let alone rent out.

some of them are agents for the likes of Enterprise but wouldn't expect them to be any better a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭HBC08

Skyscanner is a good one for car rental.

I'm currently on holidays and got a convertible for €600 for 10 days,I booked in Sept.I checked the same car last month and was €1700.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Twice the price for the same days (well, same weekend) booked the same amount of time in advance as summer 2019 for me in Spain. Everywhere is up, not just Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Booked a nice cheap return flight Luton-Kerry-Luton 10 days late June 30 Euro, nice.

Went to hire small car, Compact car 1500 euro . To and from Airport , say 50 euro total 1580 euro.

No thanks.

Booked car onto ferry 350 euro +150 petrol +lost 30 to Ryanair total 530 euro + w & t on car.

Door to door ferry 12 hours each way.

door to door flight 7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There was talk about an airbnb type car rental thing a few years ago. I suppose they regulated the sh1t out of it and killed it.

People could put their car up on the website for date they werent using it and then you could rent them of the person. Insurance was applied through the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ryanair rental is an utter disaster if things go wrong. You can't contact anybody and the booking reference numbers don't work anywhere. Completely avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

If there's just two of you, rent a small van. You be charged for insurance, but it will still come in at a very good price - even in august.

Only downside is you won't be able to rent from the airport. But with busses going to many towns and cities, you are not restricted to just Dublin options

Advertisement