Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Solar Panels Water Diverter

Options
  • 13-05-2022 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hello

This is coming from someone who isn't remotely handy so my expectations might have been way off.

I recently had a small Solar PV setup installed and my major expectation going into it was that anything generated would go into the house.

The priorities were to be

• - 1) immediate use (ecar, lights, cooker, appliances ...)
    • - 2) small Battery system (3.6kw)
    • - 3) hot water
    • - 4) the grid (with this option accounting for a small fraction of the power generated, not the 70% the system is reporting).

1 & 2 are both good. My question comes from step 3. When I included the Water Diverter at the outset I expected that this would be the water on tap, sure, but more importantly would be the water running through the radiators. These Radiators were to be the major ROI / energy sink that i could rely on, however the reality has (very) hot water on tap but nothing going through the radiators.

Bottom line, Is electrically heating radiator water a thing or was I mistakenly conflating my (our oil fired) central heating with Solar Panels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The diverter heats your cylinder not your hot water system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

if you ask the mods to move your post over to the renewable you will get more answers lots of knowledgeable guys over there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I wonder if there are few answers because the answers are a little obvious?

No solar is going to provide any of your room heating needs and won't heat your rads. That said I have seen some underfloor heating provided by solar PV.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement